joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny only a chance of rain after 3am and its been raining pretty good here now for over an hour. Temps went up some too. Tulsa has a 20 percent chance of snow for wed. night here though up until midnight lol. I'd be happy to see some flurries after last seasons dead winter! I just hope its not warm on xmas eve/xmas day like last year bleh, I think it was like 49 last year.

I would hate to have to forecast more than a week in advance. EPS mean has Dec 19th as the day it goes above normal and stays that way through at least the 21st. However, the control actually has more Arctic air surging in and probably a little less than half the ensemble members have it colder. 

From what I've been seeing on the models...I think we get cold, and if we get really lucky, we may get a storm or two. There were a couple of ensemble members in both the GFS/Euro camp indicating a big overrunning event anywhere from Day 9 to like Day 13. Then there's going to be a 'relaxation' where it looks like all the storminess will be up in Canada as our cold air is gradually eroded from the west/warms up. After that, who knows. 

Also, something to watch out for...Both the 12z Canadian control and 12z Euro control actually had above normal heights over us at 500 MB, but Arctic air sliding down at 850 MB in the long range. 

50 minutes ago, JoMo said:

From what I've been seeing on the models...I think we get cold, and if we get really lucky, we may get a storm or two. There were a couple of ensemble members in both the GFS/Euro camp indicating a big overrunning event anywhere from Day 9 to like Day 13. Then there's going to be a 'relaxation' where it looks like all the storminess will be up in Canada as our cold air is gradually eroded from the west/warms up. After that, who knows. 

Also, something to watch out for...Both the 12z Canadian control and 12z Euro control actually had above normal heights over us at 500 MB, but Arctic air sliding down at 850 MB in the long range. 

Arctic high again then? That's what it sounds like. The Euro is kinda losing it with this pattern.

3 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Girlfriend just sent me a video, I'm at home not even 5 miles south of her work and its snowing there off and on!!! Seriously lol, not the first time I have seen this happen here. It seems like 412 and north in this area is the cutoff line, so strange and weird! Moweatherguy anything up that way?

I was out at lunch in Springdale about an hour ago and it flurried hard on me for about 10 mins.  So I've seen my first flakes this winter.   Pretty while it lasted. 

37 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

I was out at lunch in Springdale about an hour ago and it flurried hard on me for about 10 mins.  So I've seen my first flakes this winter.   Pretty while it lasted. 

Yea it's doing things here now too off and on, like a zr or sleet flurry mix. Not heavy but man after last winter I will gladly take this lol!!! It didnt get nearly as warm today either as tulsa was thinking. 30 percent chance and it does something, they say 100 percent chance and sometimes nothing haha.

16 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Yea it's doing things here now too off and on, like a zr or sleet flurry mix. Not heavy but man after last winter I will gladly take this lol!!! It didnt get nearly as warm today either as tulsa was thinking. 30 percent chance and it does something, they say 100 percent chance and sometimes nothing haha.

Yah those forecasts will drive u nuts this time of yr.  Coming down pretty good here again now.

Archived