Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, KC metro said:

If you want snow in KC next week don't look at the new GFS.  Cold and dry.  Really struggling with this pattern. 

I'm mean, it remains to be seen how much it is struggling but it has been trending drier for several runs in a row now. 

8 minutes ago, MUWX said:

I'm mean, it remains to be seen how much it is struggling but it has been trending drier for several runs in a row now. 

The Euro and Canadian are wetter, so we will see. Euro is usually a better longer range model and the GFS is usually playing catch up. But, it's trending drier and further south. 

1 minute ago, KC metro said:

The Euro and Canadian are wetter, so we will see. Euro is usually a better longer range model and the GFS is usually playing catch up. But, it's trending drier and further south. 

00z Canadian isn't. Maybe a few flurries. 

It has time to trend back up but the trend isn't our friend on any models except maybe the euro. Which I don't have access too. The Canadian gives me 2-3 inches in Columbia with tonight's/tomorrow's system and I don't see anyway that happens. So I have zero faith in it at all, no matter what the range. 

00z Euro had a bit heavier snowfall up near the KC area and roughly the northern 1/2 of Missouri and Kansas. Amount falling out of the sky was generally 2-6". Otherwise nothing really exciting except for some very light precip next Sunday morning which might be frozen across roughly the same areas of Missouri. 

Looking at the ensembles, the location of the snow might be a little more settled to the area depicted, the amounts could end up a little higher. 

Down the road, the ensembles were ugly as the trough redevelops into western Canada and Alaska which leads to a zonal flow across the US with high pressure nudging in and a warm up. This happens just past mid-month. 

Having looked at last nights Euro and this mornings GFS the models are in good agreement on location. Central KS through north central Missouri (near KC) looks to be the best area for accumulating snow. The timing is Wednesday, although the GFS is about 6 hours faster. Amounts differ in the models. Euro would show 2-5" in the heavier snow band while the GFS would be 1-2". The GFS did trend wetter than what it showed last night. The GEFS (ensembles) are closer to the euro. All in all, confidence is increasing in timing and location. Still need to shore up amounts. 

2 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

FWIW, NAM is more in line with the Euro in showing heavier QPF... leads to higher snow totals. NAM is still faster than the euro though, and generally further south too. 

GFS starting to come around. Trending wetter for sure.

12z Euro a bit drier than last night, also a touch farther south. I'd say probably 2-5" across central to east central Kansas and far west central MO. Still a couple inches into central and NE MO. 

Overall, still generally a light snow event. 

31 minutes ago, JoMo said:

12z Euro a bit drier than last night, also a touch farther south. I'd say probably 2-5" across central to east central Kansas and far west central MO. Still a couple inches into central and NE MO. 

Overall, still generally a light snow event. 

I agree looking pretty good up there for some snow per 12z. I'll enjoy the cold at least.

Probly will not get anything down this way with this weeks upcoming storm but my friend in davenport iowa just sent me a pic, ugh winter storm warning up there right now with up to 7". A heavy wet snow at that but its cool to see! Beings we dont get much down here he will always send me pics when it snows up there haha! Makes me salty to say the least lol

Well was going to put the image in here but some reason this new forum is giving me issues with my imgur links, eh who knows. Heres the link if you guys wanna see it though, should work

Davenport Iowa Snow 12-4-2016

12z Euro and GFS is pretty good agreement now. Looks like a 2-4" snow event shaping up on Wednesday from central Kansas across to western and central Missouri. Some areas may get an inch or so and I could see an isolated 5" under the heavier snow band. 

11 minutes ago, kwolfe904 said:

Does Kansas City look in to be in that swath of snow? Send a bunch to Olathe, KS ;) Actually, this FL girl will be happy just to see it falling!

Currently looks like a couple inches possible up there, yes. 

That Chiefs game though! Wow.....

Nothing too exciting on the Euro ensembles. Still showing a warmup type of pattern just past mid-month with troughing in Alaska and NW Canada so enjoy the snow on Wed. 

There was more spread on temps though meaning it's a little uncertain and not a unanimous decision on warm temps in the long range though. 

00z NAM has no accumulation for most of MO. A dusting to 1" would fall in central KS. Best chance for accumulating snow would be for western KS. This is just 1 model and we are still 60-72 hours out but the trends have not been good today. 

2 minutes ago, KC metro said:

00z NAM has no accumulation for most of MO. A dusting to 1" would fall in central KS. Best chance for accumulating snow would be for western KS. This is just 1 model and we are still 60-72 hours out but the trends have not been good today. 

It is interesting that the model spits out no accumulation, especially when it has several sustained hours of decent snowfall returns over portions of the region. Curious to me. It looks wetter than the 18z run. Oh well. Now we wait for the next models to do their thing. Either way, brrrr.... it is going to get cold. 

Archived