• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

It's early, but the West seems like it will be pretty cold this month. I do think the first half of the month is colder than the second half out here, may turn pretty cold in the South in the 2nd half of Dec. I don't necessarily expect the map I'm attaching to verify, but I think it's on the table for December, it's probably 1-3F closer to 0F in the +4 and -6F zones unless everything goes right/wrong.

December Scenario - Worst.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JoMo said:

It's running now. Euro still has snow with the 'big storm' in KS and NW MO.

Edit: Very cold Euro run. About 10 degrees colder here at 00z Friday than the GFS.  Makes sense because the GFS has an issue with scouring out the cold air too quickly. About 20 degrees colder here on 00z Sunday.

Edit 2: Ensembles running a bit behind but running now. Assuming that the Weeklies are going to run behind as well

Disappointing evolution of the "big storm" next week on the models... sigh. At least everything has trended colder sooner, so whatever precip we do get here (near Wichita) will likely be snow/wintry. 

At the the very least, a couple/few inches of snow is more than I have seen in about 2 years, been a couple of pathetic winter seasons in a row for me. 

Snow chances increasing for mid-week for Kansas and Missouri per the GFS and Canadian models. Nice swath of 3-5 inch snows from south central Kansas up through KCMO.  A lot can change between now and then but confidence is increasing in some wintry precipitation next week. Timing and amounts will probably change but the general idea is on the table. Cold is for sure coming with highs in the 20s on Wednesday and Thursday and lows in the teens. 

The GFS giveth.  The GFS taketh away. The 0z model run last night showed a nice swath of 3-5 inches of snow from Kansas to Missouri next Wednesday.  Today's run.  Maybe an inch.  I do think we will see a little snow but it probably will be in the form of flurries to a few snow showers with a dusting in spots versus a good accumulating snow. That being said.... it's almost impossible to forecast amounts and timing this far in advance so models will go back and forth. 

Euro ensembles getting kind of ugly in the extended (mid-month) with Canada becoming stormy. Zonal type flow underneath so going to possibly start getting toasty over the SW and Southern Plains. (The control would actually bring another massive cold shot thanks to -EPO, lol) Looking at the individual members. I could still see it going very warm or very cold at probably equal chances in the extended 10+ day forecast. 

Snow chances backed off a bit with the "Dec 7th" storm. Amounts and location still vary though. 

5 hours ago, KC metro said:

I tend to take the weather channel with a grain of salt. Here's their preliminary map for next week. 

IMG_2553.PNG

Especially given the vast uncertainty with this system. Reading the AFDs from regional WFOs has been funny, "we could get something, even something big, or we could get absolutely nothing."

Looks like at least a great chance of seeing 36 straight hours or more below freezing next week. Not the early snowstorm and long lasting cold outbreak I'm hoping for just yet but I'm liking our chances toward mid and late month better now. Don't need any major pattern corrections to go off and screw things up in the meantime though.

12z GFS/Canadian still showing some snow with the upcoming system. I'll take anything, just need some mood flakes to go along with the cold.

I wouldn't expect the models to get anything right past day 5 with the pattern shuffle going on. 

Still looking at a swath of 1-3" snows from Kansas to Missouri midweek.  Euro more bullish on amounts because the system is slower on the euro versus the GFS. My confidence is growing on snow potential because both models show the potential.  I'm not as confident on track and amounts as there remain key differences.

37 minutes ago, JoMo said:

12z GFS/Canadian still showing some snow with the upcoming system. I'll take anything, just need some mood flakes to go along with the cold.

I wouldn't expect the models to get anything right past day 5 with the pattern shuffle going on. 

I think you guys up there have a shot at something with the trends favoring you. 

19 minutes ago, Spot said:

I think you guys up there have a shot at something with the trends favoring you. 

Yeah, it looks better in MO/KS right now. Not really expecting anything more than flurries for most areas with a lucky band of snow probably developing between here and KC. 

Archived