Newest Member
    joxey
Hermine

LakeEffectKing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tater Tot said:

If it keeps RI'ing it might come close to cat 3 territory.

Way too late for that.  I could see 95-100mph in a worst case.  The bigger issue is that strengthening systems at landfall are more likely to mix down strong winds over a wide area while weakening storms often do not do that.

5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

People need to pay attention to the surface wind reports from these passes, there are not many above 65-70 mph even right on the center.....the higher winds are very localized....lots of 50-60 mph surface winds showing up, but not much more than that.....

That surprises me considering it looks to be undergoing RI and that usually makes the surface winds surprisingly impressive.

Just now, Tater Tot said:

That surprises me considering it looks to be undergoing RI and that usually makes the surface winds surprisingly impressive.

The SE side seems to have the best dynamics lots of 60-70 mph reports well away from the center....but the west side was struggling to get 50 right on the center.....

14 minutes ago, cmasty1978 said:

wind inside and the wind outside
tangled in the window blind...

so many roads

but they all lead up to today, just like any other day that's ever been

appreciate the thought

Just now the wind
came squalling through the door

now back to the storm  :hurrbear:

Dropsonde from the NOAA plane recorded 71 kt surface winds:

http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/recon.cgi?basin=al&year=2016&product=sonde&identifier=Hermine&aircraft=3&month=09&day=01&mission=WX&agency=NOAA&ob=09-01-2248-17-989-79-71

Tropicaltidbits doesn't seem to be working (again), but this website I linked to above seems to be updating.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived