LakeEffectKing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 8pm public advisory:

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from
the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 185
miles (295 km).  NOAA buoy 42036 recently reported sustained winds
of 58 mph (94 km/h) and a wind gust of 78 mph (126 km/h).

The minimum central pressure reported by the Hurricane Hunter
aircraft is 983 mb (29.03 inches).  NOAA buoy 42036 recently
reported a pressure of 989.4 mb (29.22 inches).

1 minute ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Gust or sustained? if that's sustained, we got ourselves a Cat 2. And you said this was a dropsonde?

Sonde from 11 minutes ago. 

Splashed in maximum wind band. 

http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/recon.cgi?basin=al&year=2016&storm=Hermine&mission=14&agency=AF&product=sonde&latest=1

5 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

New sonde in the heaviest band 

Not sure if this works...

That's not a surface wind; that was recorded where the air pressure on the dropsonde's way down was 980 mb (up in the air a few dozen meters).

This does, however, point out something I've been noticing with these dropsondes that have been coming in. It seems like there's some very sharp gradients in wind speed right above the surface. These higher wind speeds are almost making it to the surface, and if they manage to do so in the time that Hermine has left off land... The intensity and impact of this storm could be much different.

This is running out of time to strengthen, so significant structure damage is not likely, however people need to be aware that since it is strengthening up to landfall winds will probably mix down better. Also probably be significant tree damage/outages since its been a long time since a hurricane made landfall in this area. Also hope surge doesn't get people off guard. Large shelf fetch+shape of coastline make that area very vulnerable to surge.

3 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Thank you, I misinterpreted the height to be the surface pressure :/

EDIT: I now see the word surface in parenthesis, ............................

If I am understanding right and this online calc isn't a load of **** that is ~300ft alt... still something to keep an eye on.

7 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

Which is essentially just above the surface now. 

Didn't say they were AT the surface. 

I think it just hit its stride to late, 12 hrs ago it didnt have a very well organized wind field really...so its doing that now but it takes time and thats why we are seeing such a difference between FL and surface winds...although it is getting better especially to the SE side....the N and W side though still look pretty meh on surface winds mostly 40-50 mph stuff, this might spare Tallahassee the worst., maybe....the worst will be at and east of the center for sure....

There isn't a particularly strong detachment between flight level and just above boundary layer winds with the sfc.  This is about typical for a hurricane.  The strongest winds are usually located at about 500 meters agl and are significantly stronger than sfc winds. 850mb flight level winds are 20% higher than sfc winds etc. 

JLF_Fig1.jpg

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived