joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread II

CT Rain

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is fascinating meteorology that's going on right now down along Long Island and the south coast of SNE...  It may even extend N during the afternoon.

there are quasi-stationary downpours on radar ... satellite presenting beautifully CB activity extending lengthwise down the Island down there. 

on a hunch I checked the DPs and confirmed (possibly) that unusually warm SSTs - as confirmed by multiple buoys within 30 to 50 miles of the NJ and Long Island coasts - I believe are contributing to higher DPs being transported in a post Back Door boundary SE flow. 

that's not something typical.  

SSTs at these buoys are approaching impressive (for me) because in the decades i've paid attention to such matters, i don't ever recall seeing so many 80-like F SSTs occurring so pervasively as they are this mid August.  there have been eddy events in the past, that have circulated captured hybrid g-stream water and brought that up to kiss the bite waters, but yesterday there was an 84 at buoy 44025!  there were many 80 and above around the region.  today they have cooled to 79/80, but 79 to 80 are more common than usual. 

point being, i think this now become at heat source more so than a sink for light onshore flow scenarios, and that highly suggestive in that the DPs everywhere are 70 and above along Long Island and most south coastal sites.  

i think that's really interesting.  

lets see if we can run a 'cane up the coast now! muah hahaha - seriously though ...

this is fascinating meteorology that's going on right now down along Long Island and the south coast of SNE...  It may even extend N during the afternoon.

there are quasi-stationary downpours on radar ... satellite presenting beautifully CB activity extending lengthwise down the Island down there. 

on a hunch I checked the DPs and confirmed (possibly) that unusually warm SSTs - as confirmed by multiple buoys within 30 to 50 miles of the NJ and Long Island coasts - I believe are contributing to higher DPs being transported in a post Back Door boundary SE flow. 

that's not something typical.  

SSTs at these buoys are approaching impressive (for me) because in the decades i've paid attention to such matters, i don't ever recall seeing so many 80-like F SSTs occurring so pervasively as they are this mid August.  there have been eddy events in the past, that have circulated captured hybrid g-stream water and brought that up to kiss the bite waters, but yesterday there was an 84 at buoy 44025!  there were many 80 and above around the region.  today they have cooled to 79/80, but 79 to 80 are more common than usual. 

point being, i think this now become at heat source more so than a sink for light onshore flow scenarios, and that highly suggestive in that the DPs everywhere are 70 and above along Long Island and most south coastal sites.  

i think that's really interesting.  

lets see if we can run a 'cane up the coast now! muah hahaha - seriously though ...

Good stuff...looks like it was the sea breeze boundary that set some convection off in central CT. Hoping that the convection continues to split us here. its our towns summer festival /fireworks this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

Good stuff...looks like it was the sea breeze boundary that set some convection off in central CT. Hoping that the convection continues to split us here. its our towns summer festival /fireworks this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha! yeah ...hopefully the fair stays okay but hey - gotta admit, the CB TCU viewing must be awesome :)

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was just going to post about NROT too. Big number for New England. 

Good for BOX for having that TOR nailed.

Hayden had about 20 minutes of lead time. Impressive! 

Median numbers for LLDV/nROT for the NEUS are 50 knots/0.90 - so 75/1.44 is well above that. 

3 hours ago, Arnold214 said:

May very well have been a tor near Concord MA around 3:20 this morning. Top image is BOS TDWR SRM, bottom is KBOX reflectivity. Couplet there was gate to gate at about 42 kt in and 32 kt out. Had a 1.44 NROT on GR2.   

concord_MA.png

i live in Ayer, which is about 12 mi WNW of that image and when it made it's closest pass, ...we were awoken by the sound of the wind - just fyi. it was a little disconcerting actually...

Really nice job by BOX.  We have definitely been more aware of these environments as of late and it's paying off. I know they aren't obviously as awe inspiring as the super cells out in the plains, but the sneaky spin ups can be really impactful, especially at night. Definitely not easy to warn.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Really nice job by BOX.  We have definitely been more aware of these environments as of late and it's paying off. I know they aren't obviously as awe inspiring as the super cells out in the plains, but the sneaky spin ups can be really impactful, especially at night. Definitely not easy to warn.

Impressive job, watched that unfold last night.  Glad the torrents woke me up 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We tor

NWS Taunton confirms 400 yard wide, .5 mile long path of EF1 Tornado in Concord, MA. Further details to follow. Per media TV briefing. #mawx #riwx #ctwx

During that presser somebody was trying to get the fire chief to say something like there was no warning, but he didn't fall for it. Did a good job of saying he knew about the TOR at least 20 minutes before the first call of damage.

Archived