joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Great Tennessee Valley Winter Discussion

John1122

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like seeing a slight shift north on the OP runs at this stage, but there are enough individuals suppressed to keep our interest. 500 will continue to shift around and this will cause more changes with modeling at the surface in the coming days. 

I do know the depth of modeled cold looks great, but often verifies warmer.  I also know any ridging modeled in Greenland in recent years has largely reduced as we get closer to the appointed time. We need both of those areas to stabilize and even strengthen going forward.  

The only thing I feel really good about at this point is moisture, something I couldn't have said just a few short weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The mean is once again impressive as are many individual members of the 18z GFES suite.

Agree.  I am not greedy.  I'd just like to see a general 1-3 or 2-4 type deal for a widespread area of the TN Valley before a minor pullback (hopefully) and a bigger winter storm later in january... in a nutshell I just want to get on the board.  

3 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Agree.  I am not greedy.  I'd just like to see a general 1-3 or 2-4 type deal for a widespread area of the TN Valley before a minor pullback (hopefully) and a bigger winter storm later in january... in a nutshell I just want to get on the board.  

I love any amount of snow.  Seeing a valley wide 2-5 inch mean run after run is nice. We're approaching the window where sometimes storms go in a model hole for a day or two but so far this potential has been steady for days on end.  So I believe we've got a good chance of scoring at least something. Last winter it was 1-17 before we even had a trackable threat.  Which failed but set the stage for a wintry period from the 20th to the 25th or so. 

I love any amount of snow.  Seeing a valley wide 2-5 inch mean run after run is nice. We're approaching the window where sometimes storms go in a model hole for a day or two but so far this potential has been steady for days on end.  So I believe we've got a good chance of scoring at least something. Last winter it was 1-17 before we even had a trackable threat.  Which failed but set the stage for a wintry period from the 20th to the 25th or so. 

Yeah we're about to enter that time frame where the mods freak out and sometimes completely lose the system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't disagree, but the pattern should be a little easier for the models with better than average skill.  Not saying LR modeling is ever easy, but the general look of a system with overrunning from the southwest has a fairly good chance to happen.  Biggest question is how much cold available? (i.e...is it a TN Valley system or an OH Valley system)?

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

My grandfather was fond of saying snow in North Texas meant snow here. Suppressed through 180 but plenty cold and a storm south of us is hard to beat. 

I REALLY like the brief blocking making a comeback on the GFS.  We need to see that on other model runs.  I am think with this look at 500 there would be more precip than shown...

IMG_4367.PNG

I like what the GFS showed on this run. Really impossible to pin down specifics this far out but we have a potential storm that has shown up consistently and we will have the cold air in place before any overrunning happens. That's about all we can ask for in the Valley in the winter time looking at the 150- 200 hour range.

I really feel like we will see several different scenarios spit out from the models. I don't think over the past few weeks I have seen a 500mb vort map look the same run to run. Models are really struggling in the long term this year for some reason. G

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived