joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Great Tennessee Valley Winter Discussion

John1122

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know many are looking at the Jan 6 system, but I thought I would look at the next several weeks.  The 12z GEFS and even 0z EPS are advertising a decent signal for a Greenland block in the LR...but manage to keep the trough in the West.  I am working on an idea that the current patten has yet to change.  The current pattern(cold loading in western Canada -> US Northwest -> spreads modified air mass eastward) has been in place for roughly 45 days.  I think the current pattern lasts roughly two more weeks just based on the rule that winter patterns have a shelf life of 30-45 days with some stubborn patterns going 60 such as this one.  Just looking at modeling it seems there are hints now that the consistent trough pattern in the West is going to end.  As usual, the models jumped the gun this time, but the modeled high latitude blocking and BN heights in the western Pacific do not teleconnect well to a western trough.  JB discussed this some today with a good discussion about how the EPO is forecast to go strongly negative, and the recovery from that is getting pushed back.  The MJO is forecast to go into phase 2 and maybe phase 3 at a low amplitude but not the circle of death.  Phase 3 to me can be a crapshoot at this time of year.  Phase 2 generally is cold here. The further into winter and phase 3 is cold with a hint of ridging in the NW.  Refer to my earlier posts or Dacula Weather for graphics depicting NA wx that correlate to the various phases of the MJO. Now, some may argue that the MJO is at too low amplitude to matter.  That is a fair criticism.  However, we are leaving low amplitude phases 5-6.  Those phases favor a warm EC and that appears to have verified.  Just looking at the 12z Euro operational 500mb pattern, it seems to have too much interaction d7-10 w the low heights over the eastern Pacific w such a strong -EPO.  I think that persistent, positively tilted trough in that area is not going to persist much longer, maybe ten more days roughly.  The weeklies from last evening seem to support the elimination of this feature by mid-Jan. So, what is the new pattern?  That is the question.  As for now, I wanted to make the argument that we are near the end of the current one.  If made to guess, I would probably roll w the current weeklies as they seem less wonky than Monday.  Trough in the East and ridge in the West which Bob Chill in the MA forum mentioned would mean a pretty good winter for many.  I agree.

5 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

gfs para don't look bad might be snow and ice in valley temps dont go up to much.

gfsp_asnow_eus_41.png

Yeah, I think anyone in Tennessee would be happy if it turned out the way this model is.  The band of heavy snow around Savannah, Tn and Selmer, Tn are intriguing.  Highway 64 would be a mess the whole way across the bottom portion of the state.

Does anyone remember what the forecast models looked like For the winter storm that was supposed to blanket Tennessee last year?  I want to say it was in February, they were predicting blizzard like conditions and then we ended up getting only a light dusting.  I was just curious if anyone remembers what the forecasts for that storm were like.

Models are coming back warmer today,trending a more wetter scenario than frozen.The control shift concerns me.It went from frozen to seeing a more strong cold front with thunder possibly,next Friday afternoon

I honestly don't like the control . it flips over and over. look at the last 5 runs. big shifts in all directions .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived