Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Great Tennessee Valley Winter Discussion

John1122

56 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Thanks John, a visual representation for those who want to see it.

It was Mr Wolf giving the gfes pbp. I can understand with the lack of an avatar and our posts being right beside of each other's. I need to pick one.

That said, still encouraged by those means, shows that our whole region is still well in play for this system. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Heck, right now everything past D3 is moderately erratic. We've seen many times how the -EPO can be really stubborn about breaking down. So I could see it leading to reloads. I just wish it would move east and act as a +PNA as it did a few years ago when we were snowy and sub zero.

Oh yeah.  Agree.  In a nutshell, I think this pattern that we have been locked into for about 45 days...is about to change.  Oddly, some recent runs are hinting at a +PNA w the most recent 12z GFS depicting that possibility very late.  The weeklies liked that idea as well...maybe with a weak Greenland block(from memory without looking).  How that trough ejects will impact next Saturday.  Bout all I can say with any confidence.

9 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

MRX doesn't think much of next weekend. Let's hope it comes back around for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are typically very conservative anyways, but I wouldn't stick a fork in her yet.

-Seven from weatherquest 

They are typically very conservative anyways, but I wouldn't stick a fork in her yet.

-Seven from weatherquest 

Yes you are correct. Would be nice to get Matt over here. Honestly I don't think he follows the weather that much, especially our weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

first wave on Friday into Saturday drops a few inches in valley second wave now hitting on sunday as of  186 this thing doing all kinds of crazy .

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_22.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_32.png

gfs_asnow_seus_33.png

Better run indeed.Notice the 5H has been showing a long wave through,now it's bending on the 18z and showing a more neutral tilted trough with the trough axis going into the Valley,who knows if its right but better right now anyways

gfs_z500_vort_us_24.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_23.png

The 18z GFS has two separate waves.  IMO, not sure how believable that run is.  At 100h, a piece of energy descends out of Canada into the northern Plains in Clipper fashion.  Pretty reasonable to that point.  As it nears the EC, it interacts with energy pushing westward from a stalled frontal boundary off the SE coast.  As that happens, the second wave at 150h hits the coast of Washington state and goes up and over the transient western ridge.  It then rides the front of the incoming ridge southward into NE TN.  Meanwhile, off the northern Pacific coast of Canada, a disturbance originates on the coast, spins West in the eastern Pacific, and boomerangs back into Washington state.  IMO that positive tilted trough in the eastern Pacific is an error both in strength and axis orientation.  That oddity gets my attention. Could it be right?  Sure.  But IMO until it aligns correctly in relation to the hp to its north in AK, the models are going to keep spitting out the flavor of the month.

As is, the 18z GFS is a very active pattern.  Even a third storm rolls through around 276.  Clown maps will be nice, but just one of many possible solutions.  I can't say that pattern screams winter, but it does seem that whenever the transient eastern trough nears the GOM or SE coast ...something develops (edit).  As Jax showed above, tons of moving parts.  Not boring, but nearly impossible to decipher after about 130...

22 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

As is, the 18z GFS is a very active pattern.  Even a third storm rolls through around 276.  Clown maps will be nice, but just one of many possible solutions.  I can't say that pattern screams winter, but it does seem that whenever the transient eastern trough nears the GOM...it is open for business.  As Jax showed above, tons of moving parts.  Not boring, but nearly impossible to decipher after about 130...

There should be a warm up around mid month,it wont last long. Around Seoul,South Korea correlates decently using the East Asia Rule for Nashville.For you guys in the east Valley it's into the Sea Of Japan east of Seoul.When using the east Asia rule it's 6-10 days from point A to point B,i split the difference and go 8 days but depending on the pattern could easily be -1or2+1or2 days.But anyways you can see the heights rising into Korea there should be some ridge around the Valley and this should basically move out the the NE

Numerical Model Prediction   Tropical Tidbits.png

44.png

29 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

There should be a warm up around mid month,it wont last long. Around Seoul,South Korea correlates decently using the East Asia Rule for Nashville.For you guys in the east Valley it's into the Sea Of Japan east of Seoul.When using the east Asia rule it's 6-10 days from point A to point B,i split the difference and go 8 days but depending on the pattern could easily be -1or2+1or2 days.But anyways you can see the heights rising into Korea there should be some ridge around the Valley and this should basically move out the the NE

Those low heights east of Japan should kick that entire trough out of the western (edit) US with the downstream wave pattern.  It did it earlier this month and should be showing up on the models. So I don't disagree.  -WPO is generally a good thing and really should not allow that positively tilted trough in the west.  I imagine the physics work out somehow, but generally have to think a western ridge/eastern trough pattern will show at some point.  This is a +WPO.  Your image would be part of the opposite I think - a negative WPO. Credit to ESRL for the following image.

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Those low heights east of Japan should kick that entire trough out of the western (edit) US with the downstream wave pattern.  It did it earlier this month and should be showing up on the models. So I don't disagree.  -WPO is generally a good thing and really should not allow that positively tilted trough in the west.  I imagine the physics work out somehow, but generally have to think a western ridge/eastern trough pattern will show at some point.  This is a +WPO.  Your image would be part of the opposite - a negative WPO.  Credit to ESRL for the following image.

image.jpg

If you look at the trough axis that went through East Asia a couple days ago it matches up rather well with the maps i posted above from tonights 18z GFS run,dont mean its right but its just a tool

Numerical Model Prediction   Tropical Tidbits.png

10 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Para updated,this is what we want to see.The storm goes from  long wave trough into a neutral tilted trough some where in this area into the plains,then you get this

Curious to see if the Para leads the OP again. The 18z op already looked improved over the 12z.  The last few times the OP has leaned toward the prior Para solution. 

Edit: That is yesterday's run. Didn't even notice myself at 1st. Strangely the 18z yesterday  ran and was up and now it's gone. So I can see how it'd be easy to think it updated. 

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Nothing doing on the GFS really. First wave pops a few snow showers than amount to little. Second wave gone.  Possible clipper that looks to bring rain by 200 hours out. 

Yeah but the GFS is showing what i was showing,it should be a more neutral tilted trough,not a long wave,really believe this develops further west of us

16 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Yeah but the GFS is showing what i was showing,it should be a more neutral tilted trough,not a long wave,really believe this develops further west of us

I hope so, I know the GFS will feature surface solutions that sometimes don't match up with what upper patterns should produce. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived