Newest Member
    joxey
Sweet '16 Mid-Long Range Discussion

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HWY316wx said:

I guess 5 days out is considered mid-range?  6Z is pictured first, latest 12Z is pictured 2nd.  I would call this a potential ice storm.

ICE_monday_12th_6z_126h_counties.JPG

ICE_monday_12th_12z_126h_counties.JPG

NWS Peachtree seems to be on-board as well.  They even have a forecast graphic up about it.   I am heeding their warning that lots could change especially in terms of timing of the cold and moisture coming together. 

OK, someone please tell me what I'm seeing on the last pane of the recent Euro run. Looks like a low popping in the GOM around Houston with much of the country BN. Are my eyes deceiving me? Granted it's 10 days out, but maybe a Christmas miracle is possible.

Edit- scratch that. 850 line near Chicago/Detroit. My bad.

1 minute ago, SnowDeac said:

OK, someone please tell me what I'm seeing on the last pane of the recent Euro run. Looks like a low popping in the GOM around Houston with much of the country BN. Are my eyes deceiving me? Granted it's 10 days out, but maybe a Christmas miracle is possible.

Looks great until you realize there is no real cold air source and 850's are +10 to +15 all over the south and southeast... :-)

Just now, tnweathernut said:

Looks great until you realize there is no real cold air source and 850's are +10 to +15 all over the south and southeast... :-)

Yep. I edited.

Most recent CMC run even shows what appears to be a little deformation band in the classic upstate/CLT area after the system next Tues/Wed. Interesting to see this far out.

And yet...somehow...day 11+ is worse.

to be fair the SER keeps getting pushed back or beaten back some every model run . the day 8-12 ensembles were showing a SER ridge middle of next week. now we have a trough digging into the east. will be interesting to see how days 10-15 actually verify vs what's being show . Obviously there will be one but to what extent

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Stormcatt said:

to be fair the SER keeps getting pushed back or beaten back some every model run . the day 8-12 ensembles were showing a SER ridge middle of next week. now we have a trough digging into the east. will be interesting to see how days 10-15 actually verify vs what's being show . Obviously there will be one but to what extent

This ain't good...but like you said, the day 11+ range hasn't been the most consistent on models.  Not to worried yet, unless we get to early January and it looks like this.

This is +AO/+NAO/+EPO/-PNA.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 4.19.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 4.19.46 PM.png

This ain't good...but like you said, the day 11+ range hasn't been the most consistent on models.  Not to worried yet, unless we get to early January and it looks like this.

This is +AO/+NAO/+EPO/-PNA.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 4.19.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 4.19.46 PM.png

I agree with you there . if we get into January with this I'll be worried. But, as bad as that is at least it's not a lasting torch pattern. God I sound desperate

19 minutes ago, Stormcatt said:

God I sound desperate

Solace - who doesn't sound that way in these parts?

So far I'm sticking with my guns - warm December overall, normal January overall (which wouldn't be bad given its the coldest month anyway), a slightly BN and wet Feb (which wouldn't be bad for you folks north of here), and a warm March, with one possibility I'm thinking in mid-Jan for a 1983, 1985, 1989 type 3 - 5 day big bad intrusion. This has been my private thought - largely for for N FL (shared with Jon and few others in October) and I'm offering it up on the public altar here in hopes that it pans out further north for you all and desperation flies away!

18 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Nina is definitely fading...I know stating the obvious at this point.  Curious to see what correlations that has to late winter for dying nina's. 

Middle of big burst too and that appears to be fading.  The SOI couldn't be more neutral.

If the Nina fades quick that should help February I would imagine.

9 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Solace - who doesn't sound that way in these parts?

So far I'm sticking with my guns - warm December overall , normal January overall (which wouldn't be bad given its the coldest month anyway), a slightly BN and wet Feb (which wouldn't be bad for you folks north of here), and a warm March, with one possibility I'm thinking in mid-Jan for a 1983, 1985, 1989 type 3 - 5 day big bad intrusion. This has been my private thought - largely for for N FL (shared with Jon and few others in October) and I'm offering it up on the public altar here in hopes that it pans out further north for you all and desperation flies away!

I really hope your right. Back in November I was thinking this would be a front end winter. I suppose December can still end up below normal but it would be terrible if this ended up being the best part of winter. As pack showed above nina is fading so maybe the backend of winter now has a chance.

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I really hope your right. Back in November I was thinking this would be a front end winter. I suppose December can still end up below normal but it would be terrible if this ended up being the best part of winter. As pack showed above nina is fading so maybe the backend of winter now has a chance.

Cosgrove would look good if that happens.

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

GFS coming in a little quicker with the precip Friday night...it has more of a coastal front just off the Carolina coast this run...so, some light icing down into NE Georgia.  Ground surfaces should be cold with the cold temps on Friday.

^ light icing from NW and Central NC down into NE GA that is

Archived