Newest Member
    joxey
Sweet '16 Mid-Long Range Discussion

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, packbacker said:

No, but can we move it a hair east and have it connect to a Scandinavian ridge.   

lol, yeah that would be our +PNA/-NAO we were looking for! I don't think I ever remember seeing a ridge bridge like that ever taking place. Modeled maybe, but not actually happening.  I could be wrong though. 

7 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

lol, yeah that would be our +PNA/-NAO we were looking for! I don't think I ever remember seeing a ridge bridge like that ever taking place. Modeled maybe, but not actually happening.  I could be wrong though. 

2014...was the last and  sure there are a few more.  

Well I will be moving from the upstate of SC (Greenville area) to Gastonia, NC in a few weeks with my new job.  I am anticipating that this 90 mile move north will result in a dramatic increase in my winter weather probabilities (LOL).  Now I don't have to be jealous of my NC friends anymore!

From CPC below, looks like some cold stuff coming into US in a week or so!

For Tuesday December 13 - Monday December 19: Ensemble means agree that anomalous ridging aloft persists across the Bering Sea which is likely to result in another arctic high shifting south from Canada into the northern Great Plains by the beginning of Week-2. Much below-normal temperatures are likely to affect at least the north-central U.S. and parts of Alaska through mid-December. The slight, moderate, and high risk of much below-normal temperatures are posted for areas where the GEFS reforecast tool indicates that daily minimum temperatures have a 20, 40, or 60 percent chance, respectively, of falling below the 15th percentile comparted to climatology. The 6Z GFS ensemble mean indicates temperatures averaging more than 25 degrees F below normal across the northern high Plains early in Week-2. No additional winter weather hazards are posted during Week-2 as model solutions vary on the timing of heavy snow across the western U.S. and there is no clear signal for the location of heavy snow and/or freezing rain across the central and eastern U.S.

2 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Well I will be moving from the upstate of SC (Greenville area) to Gastonia, NC in a few weeks with my new job.  I am anticipating that this 90 mile move north will result in a dramatic increase in my winter weather probabilities (LOL).  Now I don't have to be jealous of my NC friends anymore!

For Tuesday December 13 - Monday December 19: Ensemble means agree that anomalous ridging aloft persists across the Bering Sea which is likely to result in another arctic high shifting south from Canada into the northern Great Plains by the beginning of Week-2. Much below-normal temperatures are likely to affect at least the north-central U.S. and parts of Alaska through mid-December. The slight, moderate, and high risk of much below-normal temperatures are posted for areas where the GEFS reforecast tool indicates that daily minimum temperatures have a 20, 40, or 60 percent chance, respectively, of falling below the 15th percentile comparted to climatology. The 6Z GFS ensemble mean indicates temperatures averaging more than 25 degrees F below normal across the northern high Plains early in Week-2. No additional winter weather hazards are posted during Week-2 as model solutions vary on the timing of heavy snow across the western U.S. and there is no clear signal for the location of heavy snow and/or freezing rain across the central and eastern U.S.

Gastonia is just as much east as it is north of Greenville isnt it ?  It's maybe 30-40 miles further north in latitude ? I wouldn't imagine there being a big difference in winter weather ? Also, isn't Greenville a little higher in elevation ?

2 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

I'm sorry for your move! I grew up in Gastonia for about 20 years, I can tell you, you will do noticeably better in the wintry weather department! Many times y'all do better than Charlotte, just by being slightly west!

3 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Gastonia is just as much east as it is north of Greenville isnt it ?  It's maybe 30-40 miles further north in latitude ? I wouldn't imagine there being a big difference in winter weather ? Also, isn't Greenville a little higher in elevation ?

I was only joking :D.  Climatology wise they are pretty close even though Greenville is higher in elevation and closer to the mountains.  Gastonia sits west of Charlotte by about 20 miles.  Of course, 20 miles can sometimes be the difference between snow and cold rain!  We hope to find a place actually west of Gastonia.  We will be up there right after Christmas.  I hope I am not the Kiss of Death for that area;) 

7 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Correct. Greenville, SC sits an elevation of 965 feet (my house, immediately south of downtown, is about 1000 feet). Gastonia, NC's elevation is just under 800 feet.

The weather channel has winter storm names more appropriate for the north.  Just so we don't feel left out I give you the......

2016-17 SE Forum Winter Storm Names

Almost

Benign

Cancel

Downer

Expletive

Flurry

Grief

Hopeless

Insignificant

Joke

Kludge