Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

18 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

95-96 I recorded 110 inches in Highland Mills. Still the  best snow season I've seen, 93-94 was not far off and colder.

I was in Highland Mills for 95-96. I remember riding out that winter with my folks who live in Timber Ridge. Literally right on the east facing slope of Schnemunk Mtn. Nice little weenie spot

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

95-96 I recorded 110 inches in Highland Mills. Still the  best snow season I've seen, 93-94 was not far off and colder.

I had 107" as I recall in Vails Gate at the time. Hell of a winter but 93-94 topped it for me. Sure it had a little less snow and didn't have a blizzard but as you said it was colder and it was a solid snowcover throughout. 96 had the massive meltdown that caused all the flooding in January and we had to start from scratch pretty much after that as far as snowpack. 

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

93-94 kicked butt. I want another like that...

You must remember that flash freeze I referred to in January 94, it shut schools down for a week.  We had a good dump of snow, like 6-8" as I remember before a change to rain and temps jumped above freezing.  Then as the arctic front moved through it switched back to snow and froze everything solid.  It was only a few inches of powder on the back end with the big story being the now frozen piles of slush and ice everyplace.  Disaster, total disaster. I wish I kept detailed records back then.  That's one thing I recommend to the younger guys, keep at least a weather journal with notes on weather events if not detailed records.  Its fun to look back on events.     

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

93-94 kicked butt. I want another like that...

In addition to the snows of 93-94 which were in the 90-100 inch range pretty much area wide in the HV I also got to experience the coldest temperature I've ever been out in, which includes Wisconsin where I lived for several years).

I lived in Highland Mills at the time and one of those January mornings I recorded -23, it was the same morning Central Park was -2. I believe Poughkkeepsie was -21 & Stewart airport -19. Your nose hairs froze as soon ass you stepped out the door. It was great.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

You must remember that flash freeze I referred to in January 94, it shut schools down for a week.  We had a good dump of snow, like 6-8" as I remember before a change to rain and temps jumped above freezing.  Then as the arctic front moved through it switched back to snow and froze everything solid.  It was only a few inches of powder on the back end with the big story being the now frozen piles of slush and ice everyplace.  Disaster, total disaster. I wish I kept detailed records back then.  That's one thing I recommend to the younger guys, keep at least a weather journal with notes on weather events if not detailed records.  Its fun to look back on events.     

That sounds like the Jan 17-18, 1994 event...up here, we had a similar disaster....I was actually on a school ski trip that day to Mt. Snow in VT and we left Worcester, MA at about 530 in the morning to moderate snow on the 17th....snowed all day up at Mt. Snow, but it had turned to freezing rain back to the southeast during the afternoon....it eventually changed to rain. We got back to Worcester at about 9pm (bus ride took almost twice as long on the way back due to accidents on route 2) to pouring rain and temps in the upper 30s.

Woke up early the next morning to a few inches of powdery snow that had stuck to everything and a flash freeze. Anything still wet had just frozen solid. The temp dropped all day and fell below zero that night.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah I was on LI for that working in Little Neck.  We got snow in the morning too then changed to heavy rain for an hour or two before dark then BAM the bottom dropped out, it changed back to heavy snow and everything froze up solid in minutes.  If you know that neighborhood along Northern Blvd all of the side streets are super hilly.  When people got to work in the morning and parked on the snow some of it didn't wash away and when it froze the cars took off down the hill.  There was utter chaos.  I had my Willys Jeep parked sideways in a snow bank so it wouldn't slide so I just rolled forward and went up the hill on the sidewalk rather than attempt down towards the completely choked N Blvd.  People just shook their heads as I went up the sidewalk bouncing along and killing their neat little trenches but I got out and slowly made my way home through a 20 mile long obstacle course.  Rolling along in an old Willys in that kind of suburban disaster scene was pretty cool, I felt so tough haha B)

The ski conditions were just amazing that winter too.  Locally I skied some of the deepest snow of anywhere around the country that I've skied.  One night, under the lights, at Vernon Valley it was crotch to waist deep fluff at 14* :o  There were a couple of chest deep days at Belleayre and Plattekill that were just off the charts.  

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That sounds like the Jan 17-18, 1994 event...up here, we had a similar disaster....I was actually on a school ski trip that day to Mt. Snow in VT and we left Worcester, MA at about 530 in the morning to moderate snow on the 17th....snowed all day up at Mt. Snow, but it had turned to freezing rain back to the southeast during the afternoon....it eventually changed to rain. We got back to Worcester at about 9pm (bus ride took almost twice as long on the way back due to accidents on route 2) to pouring rain and temps in the upper 30s.

Woke up early the next morning to a few inches of powdery snow that had stuck to everything and a flash freeze. Anything still wet had just frozen solid. The temp dropped all day and fell below zero that night.

Yeah, that's the storm.  I went into work in the early afternoon in the rain and when I left around 9-10pm it was just starting to freeze up and snow again over here so the timing here and there makes sense.  This was just around the beginning of using chemical deicers over here on the roads.  The Thruway Authority was using treated road salt which was relativity successful.  NYSDOT wasn't using chemicals around here at that point and they also had a policy at the time to cut back plowing at night to save money.  The perfect recipe for disaster as all the crap left on the roads overnight froze solid just like over there.  There had road graders and freaking bulldozers on some roads trying to get rid of those frozen ruts and make them passable.      

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The ski conditions were just amazing that winter too.  Locally I skied some of the deepest snow of anywhere around the country that I've skied.  One night, under the lights, at Vernon Valley it was crotch to waist deep fluff at 14* :o  There were a couple of chest deep days at Belleayre and Plattekill that were just off the charts.  

Yes, a great year.  I was up at Belleayre a number of times that winter.  I'll never forgot one day where 4-6" fell lightly through out the day up there, might have been lake effect because we didn't get anything in New Windsor but it was a great day in fresh powder with snowfall all day up there.  It was enjoyable riding the chairlift through all of the caked trees, a mental photo that I still carry with me.

That's 4-8" on the GFS once West of the GSP.

The Canadian also has multiple threats for the interior, including 2-4" Thursday night followed by another 4-8" on Friday night.

This after 60's on Tuesday with heavy rain.

I love heavy snow immediately after heavy rain in winter. Feels like sweet revenge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's about to get real.

pecial Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
144 PM EST Fri Dec 30 2016

NJZ001-007-008-PAZ055-302100-
Sussex-Warren-Morris-Monroe-
Including the cities of...Newton...Washington...Morristown...
Stroudsburg
144 PM EST Fri Dec 30 2016

...Snow showers and possible snow squalls...

A band of snow showers with embedded snow squalls may extend from
the Great Lakes into parts of the Pocono Region in Pennsylvania
and parts of northern New Jersey during the late afternoon and
evening hours. The time period of concern is from about 3:00 PM
until 8:00 PM.

The snow showers and squalls may quickly reduce the visibility
making for hazardous travel conditions. Also, a period of moderate
to heavy snowfall could leave a quick accumulation of an inch or
two with locally higher amounts. Roads and walkways may become
snow covered and slippery.

If you will be traveling in Monroe County in Pennsylvania or in
the New Jersey counties of Sussex, Warren and Morris be prepared