Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, snywx said:

Lol. Drove thru there earlier today. Didn't even look like it snowed down there. Pretty much anyone SE of goshen got the shaft yesterday

I drove through squalls on 17 today up near Wurtsboro/Exit 115, off and on just past Liberty/Exit 100...snow cover started around Goshen at Exit 124, and was solid in the foothill areas of Pine Bush/Fair Oaks. About 3-4" in the higher elevations of the Catskills and northern Poconos/Wayne Highlands.

4 hours ago, snywx said:

Lol. Drove thru there earlier today. Didn't even look like it snowed down there. Pretty much anyone SE of goshen got the shaft yesterday

We took guesses leaving Westchester on where we would first see snow. My dad said Goshen, I said Middletown, mom said Monticello. My dad was spot on, and he picked a much more precise small town. He also, many years ago, guessed the attendance at Yankee Stadium in a pool to within 30 seats, winning us $100.

15 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Exactly .75" on the table, so basically the same.

When using a regular ruler to measure, a .75" measurement gets rounded to .8" as per official snow measuring guidelines so it is the same. While rain gets measured to the hundredth snowfall is only measured to the tenth. Only .2 IMBY yesterday which is typical, the best of the squalls typically stream just to my west and south. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

When using a regular ruler to measure, a .75" measurement gets rounded to .8" as per official snow measuring guidelines so it is the same. While rain gets measured to the hundredth snowfall is only measured to the tenth. Only .2 IMBY yesterday which is typical, the best of the squalls typically stream just to my west and south. 

Thanks Rob, didn't know that.  I thought it was like rain, where the more precise measurement is used.

That was one of the best Lake Effect squalls in quite awhile.  Could barely see down the street.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I had a lot of trouble measuring yesterday...the flakes were large enough that different places on the board could have varied from just a trace/coating to almost .5. Kinda annoying. 

5 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Thanks Rob, didn't know that.  I thought it was like rain, where the more precise measurement is used.

That was one of the best Lake Effect squalls in quite awhile.  Could barely see down the street.

No problem. I didn't know that years ago either, one of many things I've learned on this board, and the previous boards over the years. You can find an actual snow ruler on Amazon if interested. 

8 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I had a lot of trouble measuring yesterday...the flakes were large enough that different places on the board could have varied from just a trace/coating to almost .5. Kinda annoying. 

I noticed that as well, but not as drastic.  .75" (.80") was pretty much uniform, but occasionally the big flakes would give me a higher reading.

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

No problem. I didn't know that years ago either, one of many things I've learned on this board, and the previous boards over the years. You can find an actual snow ruler on Amazon if interested. 

Interesting.  I agree, this is a great board to learn on.

15 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I noticed that as well, but not as drastic.  .75" (.80") was pretty much uniform, but occasionally the big flakes would give me a higher reading.

Interesting.  I agree, this is a great board to learn on.

Now if you're measuring snow pack you can use a standard ruler, hopefully a yard stick, and measure to the nearest half inch. 

Back to measuring snowfall a snowboard is very easy to make. The easiest way is get a 2'x2' pre cut piece of plywood at Lowes or Home Depot and paint it white. While your there buy a driveway marker to mark a corner of your board so you know where it is after the snowfall. 

32 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Now if you're measuring snow pack you can use a standard ruler, hopefully a yard stick, and measure to the nearest half inch. 

Back to measuring snowfall a snowboard is very easy to make. The easiest way is get a 2'x2' pre cut piece of plywood at Lowes or Home Depot and paint it white. While your there buy a driveway marker to mark a corner of your board so you know where it is after the snowfall. 

Thanks again for all the info.  Now we just need some snow :mapsnow:

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

They actually have rulers in tenths of an inch .  For the most part I use this one .  It goes to 36 inches 

https://goo.gl/images/sX8hdO

Good evening weather fans and Happy New Year.

I reviewed some of my local stats since I have been in Highland Lakes.

Good news is that December as been a dud for snow. Hopefully next December, we get a good old fashion blow out with snow.

This December did have impressive cold. Saw some brave men ice fishing today on the lake below my home.

Wanted to thank everyone for making our interior NW Burbs and Hudson Valley thread real at times.

Let's hope we get the 3 ft'r in March or April this year.

Best.

Matt

Archived