Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

My son over in Mechanicstown said it was only a dusting there, a little urban heat island affect maybe?

I think the combination of the lp forming alittle further SE of initial thoughts and some downsloping off the gunks created the lower totals on this side. It does look like the best banding was on the east side of the county. That area can really cash in on upslope off the Hudson Highlands. Wicked variations of totals on this side of the county though. Im at 850' and finished in the 2.3"-2.5" range. You can literally go down below 800' and there is very little to anything. I took a 5 min drive to my NW in Otisville and found many spots with elevations 1200' or so and measured 4-5" 

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:
I measured 4.0 inches here, Highland Mills, central eastern Orange County, and I'm only at elevation 600 feet, and I think some compression had already started when I measured at 8:00 am.

Anyhow shades of two years ago, November 26 2014 when we received 9 inches the night before Thanksgiving and the coast was shut out. Hopefully this is a sign we're reverting back to the winter of 2014/15 anything to wipe  out the nightmare of last winter.

My folks are on Ridge Rd in Highland Mills roughly 900' and say they have about 5" otg. Nice overperformer for those on that side of the county aka the snowbelt of the tristate lol

1 hour ago, Animal said:

I am done with them. lol

No longer going to send them anything again.

Check out their PNS.. Looks like they have a co-op observer report of 6.7" from Highland Lakes. That report also tops their list. I don't think they realize that every 100' counted with this and if that report came from someone at 1100' its very possible you being 300' higher can have 8-9"

12 minutes ago, snywx said:

Check out their PNS.. Looks like they have a co-op observer report of 6.7" from Highland Lakes. That report also tops their list. I don't think they realize that every 100' counted with this and if that report came from someone at 1100' its very possible you being 300' higher can have 8-9"

That, and their other excuse is probably that High Point only received 6.5" despite being 400 feet or so higher.  Like you mentioned earlier though, elevation isn't the only factor, it's where the heavier bands set up.

14 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

That, and their other excuse is probably that High Point only received 6.5" despite being 400 feet or so higher.  Like you mentioned earlier though, elevation isn't the only factor, it's where the heavier bands set up.

Exactly.. Without the heavier rates your elevation alone would have just given you slush but if you factor in being in a heavier band with elevation chances are you do well last night.

1 hour ago, snywx said:

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

At the end of the day, this is only snow. The NWS request snow totals or other weather data from public, I have historically provided  this and other data when I was able too.

Every company/organization has numbers they need to meet or hit, ie, forecasting accuracy. Most people/companies don't want to be wrong in their trade.

I have never seen a co-op observer reported in Highland Lakes. This may be new, so I will keep an eye on the storm reporting. 

If the Highland Lakes co-op oberserver does not continue to pop op each weather reporting cycle, then this gets strange.

I got very little plain rain with this event and not much sleet overall. We got mauled for around 3 hours from around 12:30-3:30 AM. 

2 minutes ago, Animal said:

At the end of the day, this is only snow. The NWS request snow totals or other weather data from public, I have historically provided  this and other data when I was able too.

Every company/organization has numbers they need to meet or hit, ie, forecasting accuracy. Most people/companies don't want to be wrong in their trade.

I have never seen a co-op observer reported in Highland Lakes. This may be new, so I will keep an eye on the storm reporting. 

If the Highland Lakes co-op oberserver does not continue to pop op each weather reporting cycle, then this gets strange.

I got very little plain rain with this event and not much sleet overall. We got mauled for around 3 hours from around 12:30-3:30 AM. 

You were also below freezing for the duration of the event. I unlike you was stuck at 33°. With these marginal/ early season events thats a big deal

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Hey Julian, radar looks like the Taconics in Dutchess and Columbia counties are gettin' it good right now.  Is that right?  I'm just seeing wind driven flurries, too far south :( 

Just some windswept mood flakes here as well. Albany just issued an advisory for 4-8", not sure what's up with that... 

15 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was just wondering how you were doing. Even down here at around 400 feet of looks like 1-2" out there, I'll measure a little later, temp at 33. I can hear the slushy snow fall off the trees and landing on the roof from time to time,  I can only imagine that in a tent..,

Funny you should say that.  I shot this in the tent around 11:45 when it was sleeting heavily in a strong wind.  With the volume up it almost does justice to the way the whole night went.

Archived