Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Monroe/Woodbury/Harriman snowbelt, I'll be at work at West Point tomorrow, working the forest station, our elevations pretty decent so I'm hoping for an inch 

That purple spot you see in orange county is actually Schnemunk Mtn ( 1600') Highest point in the county. My folks live on the east facing slope of the mountain in Highland Mills and they have their own little micro climate there. 

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

For anyone wondering how central Orange is higher and myself in ulster get almost nothing, the HRRR seems to be spitting out a warm tongue, as shown below, I do not see the changeover taking that long, nor do I see an isolated warm tongue pushing through the instability and cold air that follows

IMG_0368.PNG

IMG_0369.PNG

Bigger question is where is the QPF coming from exactly.

I have read about possible lake affect steamers and some instability, but no reports of some of the high snow totals from this model.

4 minutes ago, Animal said:

Bigger question is where is the QPF coming from exactly.

I have read about possible lake affect steamers and some instability, but no reports of some of the high snow totals from this model.

The nam isn't too far from this solution as was the GFS, problem being is both those models keep us rain much longer than HRRR, also looking at current radar, I'd say this is under-estimated QPF wise, by the euro/GFS. I think this will over perform for those that can see the changeover quickly enough to catch the front wave, and then luck out on some decent back end squalls... would still take the HRRR as a grain of salt at this point in season. 

4 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

That plume of moisture over PA is going to pivot over us and go negative tilt.... SE  to NW as a secondary low is now forming over Central NJ 

Well Upton and Mt Holly NWS are not eating the solutions.

Mt Holly Short term forecast just issued, mentions maybe a tenth of qpf with the front lol.

Will be interesting to watch what occurs though tomorrow night.

2 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

That plume of moisture over PA is going to pivot over us and go negative tilt.... SE  to NW as a secondary low is now forming over Central NJ 

Exactly.. The progression of the front is going to slow down all while we have an intensifying LP just to the E of us in SNE. Some surprises are in store for some of us tonight and tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Animal said:

Well Upton and Mt Holly NWS are not eating the solutions.

Mt Holly Short term forecast just issued, mentions maybe a tenth of qpf with the front lol.

Will be interesting to watch what occurs though tomorrow night.

Which is surprising considering how 12z & the 18z runs have been increasing totals for the interior. Then again im used to Upton ignoring us up here. 

Albany has ZERO mention of snow for me, where I live is awful for forecasting, I'm literally less than 15 miles from the southern edge of their forecast zone, so my area is the hated stepchild. They pay no attention, I'm probably better going off uptons forecast discussions at this point, seeing as how I'm only a couple min from the OC border 

32 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Albany has ZERO mention of snow for me, where I live is awful for forecasting, I'm literally less than 15 miles from the southern edge of their forecast zone, so my area is the hated stepchild. They pay no attention, I'm probably better going off uptons forecast discussions at this point, seeing as how I'm only a couple min from the OC border 

Albany:

Latest HRRR, NAM, Euro and GFS all give even the valley floor 2-3 inches of snow by 10AM Sunday Morning as low pressure deepen in the Connecticut River Valley. We may have to update snowfall forecast later tonight as our trace to 0.5 inches in the local area may be on the light side.

Archived