• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 21 and 23 severe weather risks

Ian

2010 had monster snow and I had 3 of the worst 5 thunderstorms I ever experienced including the morning mauler, and a 2pm afternoon event where Nws team reported slivers of 90mph gusts in our subdivision. 2016 monster snow snd DC is getting some more than typical events including the recent all time hailer around Rockville

Post mod/strong Nino years tend to be 'decent' for the northern tier of the country and northeast.. tho I'm not sure I'd categorize this as a big year so far. Better than recent years nonetheless. 

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody from LWX addressed the lack of SAILS use during severe weather? I haven't seen any replies on social media. 

I've heard some reasoning tho it was in private so I probably shouldn't repeat it. I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning either. :P

Post mod/strong Nino years tend to be 'decent' for the northern tier of the country and northeast.. tho I'm not sure I'd categorize this as a big year so far. Better than recent years nonetheless. 

Storms should be clearing out just in time for the NAM to show a complete fail for Thursday ;)

I've heard some reasoning tho it was in private so I probably shouldn't repeat it. I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning either. :P

I can't really think of a "good" reason not to use it. Oh well. 

Meanwhile - pretty meh here - but good thunder and heavy rain. Guess I won't have to water the plants for a few days so that's nice. Howard did well in terms of reports it seems. Cmonnn Thursday!

I can't really think of a "good" reason not to use it. Oh well. 

Meanwhile - pretty meh here - but good thunder and heavy rain. Guess I won't have to water the plants for a few days so that's nice. Howard did well in terms of reports it seems. Cmonnn Thursday!

Well we do have a lot of terminal radars which many places do not. But the 88Ds are still better overall and SAILS was added for a reason.

Well we do have a lot of terminal radars which many places do not. But the 88Ds are still better overall and SAILS was added for a reason.

Yes - good point on the terminal radars. Even so - they definitely are not as good and the products are lacking IMO. Oh well. LWX gonna be LWX ;) 

Seems today was a pretty typical severe event for our area - isolated patches of reports with heavy rain in a bunch of other places and meh elsewhere. 

My 7th summer now in Loudoun (time flies) and continue to be amazed by the rain shield over this place in the summertime.  Seems it can precipitate in any direction except from the North or Northwest, which fails almost every time.  And yet, the storms explode to the east.  Every. Single. Time.

I am hoping that new Loudoun cell gets warned soon, looks like a small hail core is forming as its moving SE it appears

And it does

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC  254 PM EDT TUE JUN 21 2016    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    NORTHWESTERN FAIRFAX COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...    NORTHWESTERN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...    SOUTHERN LOUDOUN COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...    NORTH CENTRAL FAUQUIER COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...    * UNTIL 345 PM EDT    * AT 254 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED OVER    BLUEMONT...OR 13 MILES SOUTH OF CHARLES TOWN...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT    35 MPH.      HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.       SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.       IMPACT...DAMAGING WINDS WILL CAUSE SOME TREES AND LARGE BRANCHES              TO FALL. THIS COULD INJURE THOSE OUTDOORS...AS WELL AS              DAMAGE HOMES AND VEHICLES. ROADWAYS MAY BECOME BLOCKED BY              DOWNED TREES. LOCALIZED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.              UNSECURED LIGHT OBJECTS MAY BECOME PROJECTILES.     * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...    CENTREVILLE...RESTON...SOUTH RIDING...HERNDON...BROADLANDS...    BRAMBLETON...DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...ASHBURN...    LINTON HALL...STERLING...CHANTILLY...BULL RUN...PURCELLVILLE...    HAYMARKET...MIDDLEBURG...ROUND HILL...ARCOLA...OATLANDS...    SUDLEY AND GAINESVILLE.    

Seeing some reports from Howard county of "trees twisted, snapped off in crown" from emergency management.  Might be legit call.

Well there was a TDS so there was a tornado somewhere up there.

Archived