joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize you waited to pull a TOR warning until a TDS is present. How do you want to address the strong velocity signature? All offices have a low/no lead time warning on occasion, but LOT dragged their bums on this one.

We didn't wait to pull the trigger, but I've heard that the severe thunderstorm thing is a new thing they are testing. We were doing it the old way.

We didn't wait to pull the trigger, but I've heard that the severe thunderstorm thing is a new thing they are testing. We were doing it the old way.

The TOR possible tag in severe warnings is meant to help reduce the number of tornado warnings during a QLCS situation. It's mainly used to account for very brief and weak spin ups. It is certainly not meant to replace a tornado warning for a supercellular and more significant tornado. The TOR possible tag does not 'count' in the POD scheme either.

The TOR possible tag in severe warnings is meant to help reduce the number of tornado warnings during a QLCS situation. It's mainly used to account for very brief and weak spin ups. It is certainly not meant to replace a tornado warning for a supercellular and more significant tornado. The TOR possible tag does not 'count' in the POD scheme either.

That's what I always thought too, and that's why we never used it in the sim. We had may 6, 2015, in the Hastings CWA.

Here's the newest warning.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL952 PM CDT WED JUN 22 2016ILC099-105-230315-/O.CON.KLOT.TO.W.0012.000000T0000Z-160623T0315Z/LA SALLE IL-LIVINGSTON IL-952 PM CDT WED JUN 22 2016...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1015 PM CDT FOR SOUTHCENTRAL LA SALLE AND NORTHWESTERN LIVINGSTON COUNTIES...AT 951 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADOWAS LOCATED NEAR LONG POINT...OR 9 MILES SOUTH OF STREATOR...MOVINGSOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.HAZARD...TORNADO.SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT         SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE         TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR.  TREE DAMAGE IS         LIKELY.LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...CORNELL AND LONG POINT.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...TORNADOES ARE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO SEE AND CONFIRM AT NIGHT. DO NOTWAIT TO SEE OR HEAR THE TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW.&&

Archived