joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the airport closer to that band? I can't tell if it's a deformation band or not. Looks like a dryslot just SE of it. 

definitely low level.  There's a wind shift from NNE to NNW when that thing passes. The mesoscale models had 850s drop 5 degrees between 15 and 18z when the super band passed.  Rates peaked at 2.5"/hr. during that hour. 

I hope I won't get yelled at for this but these archived weatherbell euro 850mb temp at 12z and 18z.

Also, this cool shot, showing 900mb screaming out of the north and decreasing rapidly farther south across the Avalon Peninsula.  Strongest 900 winds in the world, that day, btw lol.  

post-36-0-49564000-1462203995_thumb.png

post-36-0-95899900-1462204010_thumb.png

post-36-0-36207200-1462204078_thumb.png

So I guess more friction than upslope? Is that result still the same in a way? The only pure upslope precip I've seen here is freezing drizzle.

It's nagged me a bit in our last blizzard...the global models which had the synoptics right (GFS/Euro) only had qpf over the NE avalon of 0.8 to 1". The 06z nam and 12z nam from the day of the storm had approximately 1.6". Our WRF which uses the GFS as boundary conditions had 1.6" or so at 00z...the morning of....which continued through to 12z. Given this I was thinking it was a boundary layer non-hydrostatic issue. The airport recorded 1.8" of qpf during the blizzard. The boundary layer remarkably cooled a destabilized during the period from 12z to 00z. 850s were -3C at 12z nearly isolthermal to the surface...by 00z the boundary layer was nearly moist adiabatic with 850s cooling to -9c. There was also some kind of mesoscale cold front that passed through between 15z and 18z when the wind shift from nne to nnw.

In my head reading this I can hear Will and Coastalwx saying QPF is the worst model variable out there as far as accuracy goes, lol.

I feel like I've had these types of discussions before (i.e. models sucking in a significant way with QPF during strong or dynamic synoptic events) with them and Oceanstwx lol.

In my head reading this I can hear Will and Coastalwx saying QPF is the worst model variable out there as far as accuracy goes, lol.

I feel like I've had these types of discussions before (i.e. models sucking in a significant way with QPF during strong or dynamic synoptic events) with them and Oceanstwx lol.

This system wasnt deepening but it was running into that high to the west.

started due east of us then ran up to the ne of us.  

attachicon.gifimage (2).gif

Yeah that reminds me of the stuff you get when the thing starts occluding. It's not a normal CCB....almost like a lot of low level forcing with bands regenerating near the low center. My guess is that the soundings were probably a bit unstable too...especially below 700mb. We had a few of these in 2010 and 2011.  Tough for me to really say without a loop of the event and seeing the progs. 

Yeah that reminds me of the stuff you get when the thing starts occluding. It's not a normal CCB....almost like a lot of low level forcing with bands regenerating near the low center. My guess is that the soundings were probably a bit unstable too...especially below 700mb. We had a few of these in 2010 and 2011.  Tough for me to really say without a loop of the event and seeing the progs. 

post-36-0-18719800-1462243414_thumb.gifpost-36-0-93492600-1462243417_thumb.gif

It looks like a little bit of a coastal front/frictional effects.

Is there usually a big temperature gradient there between just out over water and a couple miles inland? I know the Labrador Current cools everything down, but is there still some change?

You also are in a really good location for deformation bands. You obviously see a lot of Nor'easters strengthen in that area...

Great news for many winters to come as Atlantic goes into cold phase

https://t.co/IfkYbuzvPk?ssr=true

I don't know though.  Looking at this graph on that page doesn't look too promising.  The last couple of cold phases have some ratty winters like the 70s and 80s.  We entered a warm phase after the mid-90s and winters have been much different.

That is, of course, just a glance and I am not an expert

post-1299-0-63434100-1462371876_thumb.pn

I don't know though.  Looking at this graph on that page doesn't look too promising.  The last couple of cold phases have some ratty winters like the 70s and 80s.  We entered a warm phase after the mid-90s and winters have been much different.

Pretty close to a no-effect for snowfall at the local co-op.  In sequence, from the table (intervals may be a year or two off):

Warm:  99.5"  (Only 6 years, as records date back only to 1/1/1893)

Cold:    89.8"   27 yr

Warm:  86.5"  37 yr

Cold:    90.7"  33 yr

Warm:  88.5"  20 yr

Discounting the brief 1890s record, the cold phase has averaged about 3" more snowfall per season, but the SDs for those periods run in the low-mid 20s, so the difference is essentially meaningless.

I don't know though. Looking at this graph on that page doesn't look too promising. The last couple of cold phases have some ratty winters like the 70s and 80s. We entered a warm phase after the mid-90s and winters have been much different.

That is what I was looking at too. The last long term -AMO (cold) phase was from the 70's through the late 90's and the period from about 1979-2000 had a ton of winters that sucked. You can almost count all the good winters during that 21 year period on one hand

Blaming the decline in sea ice on just the +AMO is ignorant at best. It may have a minimal effect but not what the writer suggests.

I think it has more than a little effect. +AMO, warm North Atlantic Ocean, sea ice melt, it makes sense. The real test will be the new -AMO we are entering with a cold North Atlantic. If sea ice starts building up again, then the theory may not be so crazy...

Archived