Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible April Snowstorm (4/9) & Observations

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, these inverted trough type setups are impossible to rely on. The upper air pattern looks impressive, but a 50 mile or so band of snow and heavy precip (could be rain for much of it if it's daytime and near an urban area-the NAM at least keeps it well above freezing for the first part anyway)  looks to be the result. Anyone either side of where that band sets up will get jipped. This probably ends up a nowcast event. These do tend to edge north at the end, so maybe that could be good for the immediate NYC area if models target I-195 now? Or it could be Rockland/Westchester/S CT? Impossible to say. 

Yeah you have to go to PA to get decent snow on the GGEM. It looks nothing like GFS. Don't know what he was looking at. 

GFS is rain for 75% of it or more near NYC and along the coast. It all happens during the day, and heavy precip falls when it's 38-42F in NYC. The tail end might be some light snow/mix as it pulls away. Rocklnd/Westchester/I-287 look to have a better period of snow that can accumulate. 

This pretty much has to be a perfect setup with max dynamics around NYC and Long Island for there to be more than a slushy inch, since this will be during the daytime, and models suggest time to warm to 40F or higher before the real precip starts. I'd much rather be in the hills along I-287 or Rockland County. And even there depends a lot on where the 50 mile band parks itself. 

GFS is rain for 75% of it or more near NYC and along the coast. It all happens during the day, and heavy precip falls when it's 38-42F in NYC. The tail end might be some light snow/mix as it pulls away. Rocklnd/Westchester/I-287 look to have a better period of snow that can accumulate. 

This pretty much has to be a perfect setup with max dynamics around NYC and Long Island for there to be more than a slushy inch, since this will be during the daytime, and models suggest time to warm to 40F or higher before the real precip starts. I'd much rather be in the hills along I-287 or Rockland County. And even there depends a lot on where the 50 mile band parks itself. 

0z GFS snowmap shows 4 to 5 inches for NYC, but I know those snowmaps are less likely to be accurate during borderline temps in April. 

0z GFS snowmap shows 4 to 5 inches for NYC, but I know those snowmaps are less likely to be accurate during borderline temps in April. 

Looking at the PSU meteo site for temps, they look to be marginal, and that's being very generous for around NYC. Precip falling at 40F is almost certainly rain, and temps don't really dip below that until the precip is ending. West of the city in the hillier elevations looks better for maybe a few inches. 

Maybe the GFS isn't being generous enough with dynamic cooling, but even the NAM is showing the front at least half of heavy precip falling well above freezing near the coast in NJ. This being during the day is bad for you, and also this being so localized. This isn't like a large CCB that can create a larger area of cooling, or this happening at night.

Guest Pamela

Looking at the PSU meteo site for temps, they look to be marginal, and that's being very generous for around NYC. Precip falling at 40F is almost certainly rain, and temps don't really dip below that until the precip is ending. West of the city in the hillier elevations looks better for maybe a few inches. 

Maybe the GFS isn't being generous enough with dynamic cooling, but even the NAM is showing the front at least half of heavy precip falling well above freezing near the coast in NJ. This being during the day is bad for you, and also this being so localized. This isn't like a large CCB that can create a larger area of cooling, or this happening at night.

This may not get in here as fast as we think...especially to the east...and assuming it works in...after 3 PM, I think the sun factor really diminishes and if it really comes down...you might have a nice accumulation in spots. 

This thing has *a lot* of energy associated with it (including some very cold air aloft) and is potentially a *very* dynamic weather maker.  I'm going to watch the factors gather...but those in the system's path could be in for quite a surprise...i.e. 5 to 10 inches of heavy wet snow...maybe even a bit more if it has all the elements.

This may not get in here as fast as we think...especially to the east...and assuming it works in...after 3 PM, I think the sun factor really diminishes and if it really comes down...you might have a nice accumulation in spots. 

This thing has *a lot* of energy associated with it (including some very cold air aloft) and is potentially a *very* dynamic weather maker.  I'm going to watch the factors gather...but those in the system's path could be in for quite a surprise...i.e. 5 to 10 inches of heavy wet snow...maybe even a bit more if it has all the elements.

Ehh, Mt.Pamela in Smithtown's always good for at least a few inches. :P;)

Guest Pamela

The Euro has some drizzle south of i84 and nothing north.

Now who are you going to believe...a flawed simulation...or Me?

Models seems to be pulling off, for a weaker solution... 00z GFS looked really nice, 06z now looks similar to nam/euro, albeit still the snowiest

most modeling now keeping most if not all of the QPF south and west of NYC...could end up dry north and east of the city

Guest Pamela

That's been the theme since early March when the big storms including the blizzard have slipped to our south

Imagine if it didn't slip to our south...maybe JFK would have got 40 inches instead of 30!

Guest Pamela

I think Pam is stating 40 from the storm itself, not for the season....

Detecting satire is a skill; some have it...some do not.

Guest Pamela

But how could that be since Richmond never had a 40" snowstorm.

If you can draw a diagram of the hypothetical you are constructing (or attempting to formulate)...it might help.  Everyone.

Archived