• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible April Snowstorm (4/9) & Observations

Kind of looks like the blizzard's snowfall pattern...with some obvious differences.

You can see that the convective band shifting a few miles can make a big difference for any given point on the map. Almost like a summer thunderstorm forecast with a low pressure system involved.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love that its ripping snow in southern LI and raining on the north shore. 

Unless its the fall and the sound is 60 degrees and the wind is from the NE, that isnt happening. 

It's the location of the 40dbz IVT band. If you're not under it, you're raining or non-accumulating snow.

This reminds me of November 7-8 2012 in a sense. Snowfall accumulations are going to vary all over the place because of mesoscale banding. Someone is going to get really lucky & someone is going to get screwed.

That event came to mind regarding this system however cold air was a bit more entrenched and we didn't have the high sun angle/bad timing we do now.

i love that its ripping snow in southern LI and raining on the north shore.

Unless its the fall and the sound is 60 degrees and the wind is from the NE, that isnt happening.

It's very easy for that to happen if the GFS is correct, if. The intense lifting under the heavy meso band causes dynamic cooling of the column, so it snows. In the areas adjacent to the band, with light to moderate precip, it's rain. Plus, this occurs during the day and there will be big time boundary layer temp issues tomorrow to top it off

This reminds me of November 7-8 2012 in a sense. Snowfall accumulations are going to vary all over the place because of mesoscale banding. Someone is going to get really lucky & someone is going to get screwed. 

The convective banding signal is great with midlevel lapse rates looking more like a Midwest summer EML severe

than a late season snow.

Big bust potential tomorrow either way with the convective banding combined with p-TYPE changeover locations

and timing.

It would be insane if central Jersey ends up the winners here with the intense banding.

Here is the navgem. Banding into NYC and inland areas.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_single.cgi?area=nvg_atlantic&dtg=2016040812∏=prpτ=036&set=All

Would not want to be Mount Holly or Upton now. But if I was I think I'd just go 2-4 everyone.

I would go with coating to 2" for NYC and LI, 2"-4" for west of the city.

They can always adjust up or down after the 18z and 0z suite.

Archived