joxey
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Where in Tioga? My place is in Gaines.

Happy Hunting.

yeah, its just a model, but digital snow is better than no snow at all.  Looking at NAM, dynamic cooling is gonna have to help to make these totals get close.  I think true NC and into NE PA could have the most fun w/ this one.  Heck, I'd be glad to hear pingers on glass right now.

Nut

not to far away then, my place it right outside of wellsboro.  So far all sleet here, hope it will change over soon.  

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Some ice pellets finally mixing in here. Otherwise the 34ºF and moderate-heavy rain this afternoon has been a nice waste of a perfectly good southern stream wave. 

Too bad the High wasn't in a better spot & a little more strong. This was an over achiever with general precip, but it just was not our turn. Good news, it's only December 6th, & a few cold shots are on the way over the next 2 weeks. Better days should be on the horizon.

52 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Too bad the High wasn't in a better spot & a little more strong. This was an over achiever with general precip, but it just was not our turn. Good news, it's only December 6th, & a few cold shots are on the way over the next 2 weeks. Better days should be on the horizon.

yeah 1021 was modeled yesterday.  I knew some cad would be there, but thats not enough to get er done.  as you stated...maybe better times coming.  

nut

6 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

DT mentioned yesterday that Christmas week looks to be frigid. Maybe we can fit in a 20 degree day mood snow around then. 

that would be a 360 from last year. i mowed my grass Christmas eve day, then went to one of our family Christmas parties in my swim trunks :)

christmas.jpg

35 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i'd like to say so long to everyone, i've enjoyed my time here. I've decided to move from my home of 53 years. We will be relocating to the Tug Hill area of New York State. Be well me friends :blink::whistle::drunk::snowing:

Well thats not fair :snowing:

Good luck to you and your family.

21 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i'd like to say so long to everyone, i've enjoyed my time here. I've decided to move from my home of 53 years. We will be relocating to the Tug Hill area of New York State. Be well me friends :blink::whistle::drunk::snowing:

If there only was work up there .....

if you've never witnessed you need to c it. 

Nut

Horst:

* Arctic Air to Dominate Mid-Month -- First Snow Likely *

2:00pm Wednesday, December 7:
December began the same as November ended—with temperatures running several degrees above average through the month’s first six days. A dramatic jet stream pattern change is now underway, however, and I see at least two Arctic blasts aimed at the United States into mid-December.

The initial surge of Arctic air is directed at the Northern Rockies (with sub-zero temps), and this air mass will fortunately moderate as it spreads towards the East coast. The leading edge of this Arctic push will arrive here on December 8th, and the period December 9 – 11 will average 5 to 8 degrees below normal with high temperatures in the mid/upper 30s and nighttime lows into the 20s. A second colder blast will arrive around December 13th or 14th, and so temperatures on December 15th – 17th are likely to be even colder (perhaps as much as 10 to 12 degrees below normal). Beyond that, the vortex of coldest air may pivot back towards the North Pole with gradually moderating temps. There’s even a chance—though I’m not sold on this idea—that Pacific air may regain control across much of the country towards month’s end; if so, December would close out on the mild side. Alternatively, an additional blast (or two) of Arctic air is possible into the holiday period. We’ll see.

What about snow? Yes, I do think we’re likely to receive our first measureable snow sometime in the next two weeks. Heavy lake effect snows will certainly fall in the usual spots (northern and western PA) as the two Arctic blasts move through, but little more than a flurry or snow shower is likely to extend into southeastern PA. I do see signs of two low pressure systems that might threaten us during mid-December. The first (weak) system looks on a track across PA around December 11 or 12th. Such a system could bring us a few hours of light snow or light wintry mix before changing to light rain. More intriguing is the potential for a disturbance to attack the second Arctic blast as it retreats off the Northeast coast between December 17 – 20th. This just might be the system that turns our area white with the first measurable snow of the season. For folks dreaming of a white Christmas…it’s much too early to get excited; but given a continuation of the aforementioned pattern, it’s fair to say there's a chance! 

2 hours ago, sauss06 said:

Seriously Jon? Wow man, wishing all my best as you begin a new chapter in your life. Blessings, my friend. 

15 hours ago, 2001kx said:

Well thats not fair :snowing:

Good luck to you and your family.

14 hours ago, pasnownut said:

If there only was work up there .....

if you've never witnessed you need to c it. 

Nut

11 hours ago, canderson said:

Wait what? Is this true or just a snow-seeker dream?!

9 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

He ain't goin' nowhere. You ever try to make a move with 2 giant ass dogs? That excursion makes it to the Pine Grove exit of 81 before the dogs eat the moving vans.

nah, just having a lil fun. I was reading them calling for 3-4' of LE and thought ****, i need to be a part of that action, time to move :)

Archived