Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does look increasingly like a slop fest with less of a snow thump in the beginning. 

The NAM sounding for Sat 12z shows a ridiculous inversion...temps go from -7C at the surface to 3C at 850mb. This sounding looks like sleet to me, but any rain that falls, no matter how hard, will freeze right away at those surface temps.

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.42.13 PM.png

State College maps show primarily snow, but these were updated at 10am. I bet the update will push more towards ice and sleet.

However, the WPC is realizing the icing concern. (% chance of 0.1" ice from 7pm Fri - 7pm Sat):

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 7.58.56 PM.png

Not saying I buy into the 0.6" of ice, however, i'm pretty sure NWS says that even 0.50" of ice accretion is a major amount which can cause significant tree damage from the weight of the ice.  It only takes the potential of 0.25" of ice to produce a winter storm warning.  My expectation is that we will wake up tomorrow morning to WSW for snow (light amounts, probably less than 2") > sleet > long duration ZR.

NAM gives the LSV no measureable snowfall from tomorrow night's initial precip.  That does seem a little odd. 

My immediate area tends to be very slow to scour out the cold, (for this part of Cumberland County), so I would not be surprised to see ZR hold on longer. 

On 12/14/2016 at 9:57 PM, maytownpawx said:

I'm skeptical on some of the snow amounts being thrown around, especially for MDT and points S & E. 

I'm not being a deb, but far too often these events under-perform snow-wise around these parts. Rarely do we pick up more than a slushy inch or two before the flip...I guess time will tell as each event can provide surprises both good and bad. 

As expected, accumulation totals have been steadily lowered. Horst now saying a coating up to 1". 

I'm increasingly becoming more concerned with the icing potential here in PA. The globals have come around to keeping temps AOB freezing for everyone here in this forum into about 15z tomorrow. During this time, around .10" QPF falls at MDT as snow per a blend of the guidance I look at frequently. Then it flips, with a period of IP, and an even longer period of FZRA. After the flip per soundings, roughly a quarter-inch (or more) of FZRA falls at MDT...other locations have quite a bit more. 

The cold air we have now is bitter cold, and the ground is freezing at this point. Having temps at 32F or even 33-34F in the boundary layer will still probably mean freezing rain as the ground is just so darn cold. That's concerning. Oh yeah, we'll probably have some snow too, but unless you're awake around sunrise in SCPA, you may not see it fall!

51 minutes ago, AllWeather said:

I'm increasingly becoming more concerned with the icing potential here in PA. The globals have come around to keeping temps AOB freezing for everyone here in this forum into about 15z tomorrow. During this time, around .10" QPF falls at MDT as snow per a blend of the guidance I look at frequently. Then it flips, with a period of IP, and an even longer period of FZRA. After the flip per soundings, roughly a quarter-inch (or more) of FZRA falls at MDT...other locations have quite a bit more. 

The cold air we have now is bitter cold, and the ground is freezing at this point. Having temps at 32F or even 33-34F in the boundary layer will still probably mean freezing rain as the ground is just so darn cold. That's concerning. Oh yeah, we'll probably have some snow too, but unless you're awake around sunrise in SCPA, you may not see it fall!

Thats the beauty of my age.....I've "seen this coming" for a few days now.  Many Rodeo's in.....

With that said, the 850's are scorching hot by 12z so that layer may be getting quite thin.....but it only needs to be "thick enough"....

Ice skates for many.......

Nut

and furthermore....any annafrontal snow stuff some are holding onto....fugettaboutit.

if were lucky a few mood flakes possible to T up whats left of your crotch after tommorow's mess....

It often teases us on the models, but rarely ever comes to fruition.  Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.  At least there is some energy scooting SE w/ the frontal passage that may give it a shot as temps crash back towards normal.

All good.  At least were trackin....(although I just saw an add for a cheap toaster.....:weep:)

Nut

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and furthermore....any annafrontal snow stuff some are holding onto....fugettaboutit.

if were lucky a few mood flakes possible to T up whats left of your crotch after tommorow's mess....

It often teases us on the models, but rarely ever comes to fruition.  Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.  At least there is some energy scooting SE w/ the frontal passage that may give it a shot as temps crash back towards normal.

All good.  At least were trackin....(although I just saw an add for a cheap toaster.....:weep:)

Nut

No, you're correct. Backside snow southeast of the mountains almost never happens. Downsloping (warming) winds either dry things or warm it up (or both). I've personally never seen cold air catch up in an anafrontal situation to change over to snow SE of the high terrain of C PA. 

2 minutes ago, AllWeather said:

No, you're correct. Backside snow southeast of the mountains almost never happens. Downsloping (warming) winds either dry things or warm it up (or both). I've personally never seen cold air catch up in an anafrontal situation to change over to snow SE of the high terrain of C PA. 

Yeah, I guess i should have stated SE piedmont locals.  All you true CTP brethren are better suites for flakes (although even there its usually a tease.  east of the Apps, I'll just see puffy remnants of any action y'all might get.

Nut

16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Nut

This. Every word well spoken. Any snow will be minimal to none...but that isn't and hasn't been the concern. 

Archived