Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been in the right place and at the right elevation so far this winter. Yesterday we got a quick 1.5" inches which puts me close to 10" so far this winter with 4 different "events" so far. Waited until mid-March last year to get close to a foot of snow total. Winter was late March and early April up here last year!

Looking at 3-6" today with current lite snow and flurries at 11:30AM.

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Well im just getting ripped off.  Very light snow now falling, but at this rate, and by the looks of the radar, mood flakes is all I get till whatever the main show has in store for tonight.  Happy to be trackin, but wish that damn NAO would show up.  We'd be rockin this week.  I'll enjoy all the same as it beats the heck outta last years oven.

Enjoy.  Nut

Yea it seems like at least in the early going so far this winter that we may be more dependent on a traditional -NAO than we were with the last couple winters (talking 13/14 and 14/15)... at least from a storm standpoint. You can see that in the pattern alignment and corresponding storm track. The negative EPO/WPO are providing access to some of the very cold air that spent most of November in Asia, and that will pay us a visit in the latter half of this coming week. At the same time we have a -PNA regime that results in a colder than average and unsettled western US. Without downstream blocking from a well established -NAO in this Pac/Western US alignment, we are vulnerable to cutting storms. We in fact have one with today's event and likely next weekend with the more significant system showing up on the models. In between though, the PV takes a swing at the northeastern US and it is going to be a very impressive arctic shot, with 850 temps showing -20 to -25ºC in the 12z GFS. That's impressive for mid-late Jan standards and hard to get in mid December. I would look for an arctic frontal passage Wed/Thur this week and the usual trouble those things cause. Western PA gets a favorable LES/upslope alignment in the wake of it and with sub -20ºC 850 air coming over the lakes in mid-Dec the LES could be pretty prolific. 

Pretty likely the next progged major system will cut to the lakes next weekend but given the antecedent cold it will need to boot out, it would likely be quite a mess.. especially for the central counties. A little farther beyond that today's teleconnection forecast show a reversal of the EPO/WPO to positive after about the 16/17th.. that would imply eventual moderation of temps in the US with more of a Pacific influenced jet. We shall see, but in the meantime the next 6-10 days are shaping up to be pretty active and quite cold.

4indices.png

7 minutes ago, Anduril said:

For as little snow as we had this morning some of the side/back roads were pretty ****ty in Lower Allen township; dont think they did any salting. Once I hit the main roads they were of course fine but it was still rather suprising

They and Camp Hill have the worst roads in the region every tiny storm. 

8 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Moderate snow in State College, definitely the best rates of the day so far.

Changeover line is moving rapidly to the NE per CC. Altoona just flipped to sleet.

Really piling up nicely IMBY now. Grass completely covered... Hope we can stay snow for the next couple hours. Gonna be the difference between one inch and three.

Was outside for a little bit, precip lightened up and changed over to sleet and maybe a touch of freezing rain. Cleared my measuring areas since it started mixing.. had about a new half inch on top of the 2.0" received from about 6a-2p today. Heavier precip moving back in and things have turned back to snow again (big fluffies) for now.

Also, obligatory snow pic

IMG_2077.JPG

3 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Closing in on 2 inches in downtown State College, still moderate snow. Changeover line just passed Lewistown so we probably flip in the next hour or two. 

It's alternating between snow and sleet down here (I'm about 30 miles down I-99 from UNV). It seems like it will hold up there for awhile but you can also see the mixing line working into Clearfield county from the west and southwest. The CC dual pol is really showing the line pretty well.

IMG_2079.PNG

I didn't look in the gauge yet but it doesn't appear like we even got that much of anything. 

This will be one of those weeks when there will be some people talking on Thursday night about how cold it is, and "no way can it warm up that much and rain by Saturday."

And then they'll watch their thermometer reach 40 Saturday afternoon. :)

Archived