joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 4 Winter Storm Threat

RubiksDestroyer

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even crushes a good part of the I-40 corridor out into the foothills and maybe even western Piedmont

Surface temps will hurt most chances outside the mountains. At hour 54 surface temps across central and western NC would be in the low to mid 40s with dew points in the mid/upper 20s.  

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=03&model_dd=01&model_init_hh=18&fhour=54&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Surface temps will hurt most chances outside the mountains. At hour 54 surface temps across central and western NC would be in the low to mid 40s with dew points in the mid/upper 20s.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=03&model_dd=01&model_init_hh=18&fhour=54&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

At hour 54 there's very little precip so the temps would be around 40 here but you need to look at hour 57 and 60 when the fireworks are going off here. Has me at 33 degrees while its blitzing snow down.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
338 PM EST TUE MAR 1 2016

PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-
ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-
WILSON-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE TRACKING THROUGH THE SOUTHEAST THURSDAY
NIGHT COULD RESULT IN A LIGHT WINTRY MIX ACROSS THE NORTHERN
PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE
VIRGINIA STATE LINE. NO IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

NWS Raleigh afternoon discussion:

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 245 PM TUESDAY...

MODELS CONTINUE TO SHOW REASONABLY GOOD TIMING CONSENSUS...AND THE
GFS HAS TRENDED ITS MILLER TYPE-B SURFACE EVOLUTION TOWARDS A
STRONGER...SOUTHERLY COASTAL LOW BECOMING DOMINANT THURSDAY NIGHT
WHICH RESEMBLES THE CONSISTENT ECMWFS SOLUTION AS THE SYSTEM IS
PULLING OFFSHORE BY 12Z.

THAT SAID...SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE MIGRATING OFFSHORE SETS UP MODEST
WARM AIR ADVECTION THURSDAY MORNING TO PROVIDE SOME ISENTROPIC LIFT
THROUGH THE DAY...BUT LIMITED BY WEAK MOISTURE ADVECTION DUE TO
WESTERLY LOW LEVEL FLOW ACROSS THE NORTHERN GMEX AND GULF STATES. AS
SUCH...WILL MAINTAIN AN INCREASING TREND FROM SLIGHT CHANCE POPS IN
THE AFTERNOON IN THE WEST WHERE LIFT WILL BE MAXIMIZED...TO A LIKELY
CHANCE OF SHOWERS EVERYWHERE CONCURRENT WITH THE RAPID COLD FRONTAL
PASSAGE OVERNIGHT. COLD AIR ADVECTION AND SUB-FREEZING TEMPS WILL BE
LAGGING THE PRECIPITATION...WHICH WILL MAKE A CHANGEOVER OR MIX WITH
ANY SNOW RATHER DIFFICULT TO ACHIEVE AS THE PRECIP RATES WILL BE
EITHER VERY LIGHT OR MORE LIKELY...ENDING BY THE TIME THE LOWEST
LEVELS ARE COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT SNOW. WILL MAINTAIN A CHANCE OF
MIXED RAIN/SNOW ACROSS THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE AREA AFTER MIDNIGHT
TOMORROW NIGHT...WITH POPS ENDING IN THE NORTHEAST ON FRIDAY
MORNING. ANY ACCUMULATION OF SNOW WILL BE LIGHT AND LIMITED TO
GRASSY OR OTHER RAISED SURFACES. HIGHS THURSDAY WILL BE WITHIN A
DEGREE OR TWO OF 50...WITH MINS THURSDAY NIGHT FROM THE MID 30S
ACROSS THE NORTH TO AROUND 40 ACROSS THE SOUTH.

At hour 54 there's very little precip so the temps would be around 40 here but you need to look at hour 57 and 60 when the fireworks are going off here. Has me at 33 degrees while its blitzing snow down.

You would need heavy rates. Surface / dew points temps would scream cold rain, but we've seen where these types of storms can produce. Also the models could trend colder the next few runs.

Hour 60 dew points:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=03&model_dd=01&model_init_hh=18&fhour=60&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

You would need heavy rates. Surface / dew points temps would scream cold rain, but we've seen where these types of storms can produce. Also the models could trend colder the next few runs.

Hour 60 dew points:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=03&model_dd=01&model_init_hh=18&fhour=60&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Not sure I follow. How does a surface temp of 33 with 850s well below freezing at hour 57 when the heavy precip is falling scream cold rain? Heck even with light precip that would be snow.

Not sure I follow. How does a surface temp of 33 with 850s well below freezing at hour 57 when the heavy precip is falling scream cold rain? Heck even with light precip that would be snow.

You could be right. I just looked at your location and you have elevation on your side. For most of us outside the mountains it's going to be hard with what the NAM is showing.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=03&model_dd=01&model_init_hh=18&fhour=63&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Still have sloppy flakes in the forecast!!!

.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN. SNOW LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO
SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S.
LIGHT AND VARIABLE
WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 90 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY...A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING. PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN
THE MID 40S. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT. 

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

NCZ007>011-021>028-038>041-043-022045-
PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-
ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-
WILSON-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE TRACKING THROUGH THE SOUTHEAST THURSDAY
NIGHT COULD RESULT IN A LIGHT WINTRY MIX ACROSS THE NORTHERN
PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE
VIRGINIA STATE LINE.  NO IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

The 18z RGEM looks good at 54... Looks more in line with the Euro than the GFS. Further south with the LP, and seems to be transfering quicker. 850 mb temps are slightly colder than the NAM, especially on the west side of the mountains/TN, which relates to the primary transfering further south; probably means it will be colder down the road, and the cold aloft won't retreat [as quickly] like the GFS shows.

This is what I've wanted to see the models trend more towards, as it's what those of us in the northern piedmont want to see to get anything out of this.

The 18z RGEM looks good at 54... Looks more in line with the Euro than the GFS. Further south with the LP, and seems to be transfering quicker. 850 mb temps are slightly colder than the NAM, especially on the west side of the mountains/TN, which relates to the primary transfering further south; probably means it will be colder down the road, and the cold aloft won't retreat [as quickly] like the GFS shows.

This is what I've wanted to see the models trend more towards, as it's what those of us in the northern piedmont want to see to get anything out of this.

I just want it to do something in your back yard..(Mebane)

I just want it to do something in your back yard..(Mebane)

Yeah, I do too, lol. I hope you guys down in the Raleigh area get to see at least a few flakes mix in Thursday night/Friday morning, but I don't even know if there will be much of anything here. Hopefully the 00z models are more telling as to what will happen... I'm encouraged by the 18z model runs, though. 

The Euro upped QPF quite a bit tonight. Interesting potential wet snow setup as shown, IMO. BL is iffy, but there might be enough precip to overcome it. Not a big storm either way, of course, but still.

Decent for the mountains, regardless.

What is qpf for NW mtns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived