Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used a company called Natural lawn for fertilizer treatments.  They always put down their fertilizer with a machine.  Yesterday I got home and there's a notice saying they put down winterizer (really early IMO)  and there's no tire tracks in my lawn.  I called them up today and he backpedaled saying for the first time ever he used a handheld mechanical applicator.   Am I getting hosed?

21 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I used a company called Natural lawn for fertilizer treatments.  They always put down their fertilizer with a machine.  Yesterday I got home and there's a notice saying they put down winterizer (really early IMO)  and there's no tire tracks in my lawn.  I called them up today and he backpedaled saying for the first time ever he used a handheld mechanical applicator.   Am I getting hosed?

Is it a liquid application?  I think you'd notice if they put down any type of fertilizer.

Probably a little early for winterizer, I would just call that an "early fall" application, not winterizer.  Winterizer should go down once you notice top growth as stopped.  Although you probably wouldn't notice any growth in EMA this year unless you were watering pretty religiously.  

Some companies do use mainly liquid based Nitrogen, so maybe they really did switch.  If they did use liquid, it will be all fast release nitrogen because they don't have the coating that the slow release granular products have.

29 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Probably a little early for winterizer, I would just call that an "early fall" application, not winterizer.  Winterizer should go down once you notice top growth as stopped.  Although you probably wouldn't notice any growth in EMA this year unless you were watering pretty religiously.  

Some companies do use mainly liquid based Nitrogen, so maybe they really did switch.  If they did use liquid, it will be all fast release nitrogen because they don't have the coating that the slow release granular products have.

My lawn is embarassingly green.  The town told us the state was requiring them to put a water ban in.  In the same sentence they told us to ignore the water ban since our water table is fine.   My irrigation didn't shut off this year.

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I won't fire up a new one--I think that's an annual DIT ritual.  But, I'll revive the old one.

It's time to start thinking of lawn clean-ups and early greening.

uh, it's Feb 3rd. lawn clean up is at least 45 days away.

On 9/29/2016 at 11:50 AM, CoastalWx said:

Unless you know of a great landscape or lawn service....better off doing it yourself. Most of these clowns are hacks. I will say, I was happy with the guys who sprayed our trees for caterpillars. I'll do it next year too.

those sprays kill a lot more than caterpillars

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Depends on what's being used.  Most chemical insecticides take out almost all species, while the BT formula for something like gypsy moth is specific to caterpillars.

We talked about this before. It was a natural bacteria that is used to take out caterpillars. Does not harm other things like birds etc. It's why I chose this company. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Big lawn project for us this spring. 7300 sqft. Lots of sand and loam. Should we hydroseed or seed by hand? We have some hose but not enough to cover whole area. Hydroseed is a bit more tolerant to less water I think.

hydroseed. more expensive, but you won't regret it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, DIT needs to get the 2017 thread kickstarted...

As the snow vanishes from my lawn and parts are seeing daylight for the first time since December, I'm noticing tons of circle-shaped spots of grey snow mold.

It's the first time I've ever seen it. But, it's also the first time I've put down fert in late october.

What can i do? I was debating a Caddyshack type campaign with C4 but the neighbors might complain. ...can anything be done besides raking/ reseeding?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Yes, DIT needs to get the 2017 thread kickstarted...

As the snow vanishes from my lawn and parts are seeing daylight for the first time since December, I'm noticing tons of circle-shaped spots of grey snow mold.

It's the first time I've ever seen it. But, it's also the first time I've put down fert in late october.

What can i do? I was debating a Caddyshack type campaign with C4 but the neighbors might complain. ...can anything be done besides raking/ reseeding?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Snow mold.. it goes away with sunlight and air. You can rake it once it dries out

On 2/4/2017 at 5:48 PM, Lava Rock said:

Big lawn project for us this spring. 7300 sqft. Lots of sand and loam. Should we hydroseed or seed by hand? We have some hose but not enough to cover whole area. Hydroseed is a bit more tolerant to less water I think.

hydroseed, but buy / choose your own seed. this way you can control weed content (you will get some weeds seeds from the loam) . cellulose material will allow seed to root quicker and its retains moisture better

Archived