ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Feb 24 2016 severe weather outbreak

Ian

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy Flooding, very anomalous storm for February 24th, gusts were legit 35mph before the rain. Empty Recycling Bins were falling, lids were blowing like 200 feet away. Seems like 295 or just east through BWI NNE through Downtown Baltimore and then up near Parkville/Loch Raven got the most. Very Dangerous situation at my house, we have guests living down the basement and the flooding is crazy, it's a electrical hazard.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

721 PM EST WED FEB 24 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EASTERN LANCASTER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

* UNTIL 745 PM EST

* AT 721 PM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED

OVER QUARRYVILLE...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

NEW HOLLAND...GAP...STRASBURG...QUARRYVILLE...PARADISE...

CHURCHTOWN...TERRE HILL...KIRKWOOD...WHITE HORSE...BOWMANSVILLE...

GOODVILLE...CHRISTIANA...GORDONVILLE...BLUE BALL...INTERCOURSE...

BUCK...GEORGETOWN...FIVEPOINTVILLE AND ATGLEN.

THIS INCLUDES THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE FROM MILE MARKERS 289 TO 295.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST

FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF YOU ARE IN A MOBILE

HOME OR OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND

PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

THIS CLUSTER OF THUNDERSTORMS IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TORNADOES AND

WIDESPREAD SIGNIFICANT WIND DAMAGE. DO NOT WAIT TO SEE OR HEAR THE

TORNADO. FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST

FLOOR OF YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS.

&&

LAT...LON 4011 7594 4004 7593 3996 75

Interesting event. I think I was right about tor risk not making it up here and it generally stopped where I thought it would. But a bit bigger than expected otherwise. Hugging climo is dumb sometimes and you know it's dumb at the time but you do if anyway.

That said getting a report is pretty simple around here. I don't think much of what came thru this area was severe. Spotty sure. Blanket warnings again.. The usual. Too many red warnings south. Kinda silly.

Good event for the broader region tho. Impressive for Feb. Kudos to high risk I think. He mentioned like a week ago.

Btw I'm going to start a new spring severe thread and make this an event thread.

Co-worker in Damascus had siding and shingles blown off his roof last night, said there was a big hiss that came through his neighborhood near Cedar Grove ES last night.  There was a concentration of damage and 5 utility poles were snapped off at the base on Rt. 27 @ Davis Mill Rd.  Here's a picture from Cedar Grove ES:  LINK

Blanket warnings again.. The usual. Too many red warnings south. Kinda silly.

Despite the predictions by SPC, NWS Wakefield decided not to issue a Tornado watch until 2:00 p.m.  As a school official, I was being pressed for a recommendation regarding cancelling after-school activities well before that time, and noted that no watches (T-Storm or Tornado) had been issued.  They did send the SPC analysis to our County's Emergency planners.

I'm not sure, but I think the tornado that killed 3 people in Waverly at about 2;40 p.m. was not preceded by a warning.  After blowing that call (if I am correct), NWS Wakefield then issued warnings associated with multiple supercells as they moved across the Piedmont and Tidewater from 4:00 p.m. into the early evening.  The 1129 Forecast Discussion had only noted "DAMAGING WINDS AND THE POSSIBILITY FOR AN ISLTD TORNADO."

I'm sure NWS Wakefield will issue a report to document the tornado outbreak, which was quite extraordinary for Virginia at any time of year, and truly exceptional for February.

Co-worker in Damascus had siding and shingles blown off his roof last night, said there was a big hiss that came through his neighborhood near Cedar Grove ES last night.  There was a concentration of damage and 5 utility poles were snapped off at the base on Rt. 27 @ Davis Mill Rd.  Here's a picture from Cedar Grove ES:  LINK

Don't have the exact number on me, but there is a WeatherBug station at Cedar Grove ES, and it looks like it recorded a 59 mph gust. That would make sense... WeatherBug HQ in Germantown had a 70 mph gust (station on roof), and there was something like a 63 mph gust also nearby.

ETA:

Here's a map... doesn't have the highest Cedar Grove gust because the screen shot came before their biggest gust.

CcA88MLW0AA7ouu.jpg

Despite the predictions by SPC, NWS Wakefield decided not to issue a Tornado watch until 2:00 p.m.  As a school official, I was being pressed for a recommendation regarding cancelling after-school activities well before that time, and noted that no watches (T-Storm or Tornado) had been issued.  They did send the SPC analysis to our County's Emergency planners.

I'm not sure, but I think the tornado that killed 3 people in Waverly at about 2;40 p.m. was not preceded by a warning.  After blowing that call (if I am correct), NWS Wakefield then issued warnings associated with multiple supercells as they moved across the Piedmont and Tidewater from 4:00 p.m. into the early evening.  The 1129 Forecast Discussion had only noted "DAMAGING WINDS AND THE POSSIBILITY FOR AN ISLTD TORNADO."

I'm sure NWS Wakefield will issue a report to document the tornado outbreak, which was quite extraordinary for Virginia at any time of year, and truly exceptional for February.

there was a warning issued at 2:37pm for the Waverly area. 

there was a warning issued at 2:37pm for the Waverly area.

LSR for tornado shows 2:35p touchdown. They were definitely late on it. Not sure if they were warning as it happened or warned after TDS but can argue they missed it I think.

LSR for tornado shows 2:35p touchdown. They were definitely late on it. Not sure if they were warning as it happened or warned after TDS but can argue they missed it I think.

wasn't disagreeing with the late/missed call. i just looked to see what time the warning was issued. hadn't looked at LSR. 

Archived