joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's probably a topic for the feb/mar thread but yeah, i distinctly remember that epic warmth that spring.  one day in april, it was 95 f ...not too deep into the month, either.  i was living in Waltham, Ma at the time, just inside 128 there west of bean-town. 

i remember firing up the 2nd set of tennis with the dudes after work on one of the many warm days that weird spring.  suddenly, the wind turned E and i figured in mind that things were going to cool off fast.  i mean, april ocean temps and east seabreeze in april, usually whiplashes... but didn't!  it went from 95 to 75... 75 of course still way above normal.  

buuuut, that year/scenario is the huge exception to the rule.  i've seen 92 in early May go to 48 inside of 2 hours before.

Probably thinking of 2002, when BDL had a heat wave April 16-18, topping at 95.  Of course, the (non)winter of 01-02 didn't have far to go to get warm.  April 2003 had one day (16th) with mid-upper 80s in SNE, but didn't get back up there until late June, and most SNE points had 2 small snowstorms earlier that month.

Probably thinking of 2002, when BDL had a heat wave April 16-18, topping at 95.  Of course, the (non)winter of 01-02 didn't have far to go to get warm.  April 2003 had one day (16th) with mid-upper 80s in SNE, but didn't get back up there until late June, and most SNE points had 2 small snowstorms earlier that month.

yeah,...i was just about the type that. 

it was 2002, word - 

I'm confused.

If you go back and reread the description of the OP run, the ensembles are very similar. A bunch of snow on the front end changing to ice over the interior...perhaps some rain at the end.

Of course, there's plenty of spread in the ensembles too where some of the solutions give your big rainstorm. Others give mostly snow.

One thing is for sure, it's gonna change between now and next week.

Without seeing qpf, I'm assuming the Euro is actually a similar synoptic evolution except the second low is faster and 100 miles further west.

Yea, I just checked. I wonder if the slower solution of the JMA is valid though. You would think a slower 2nd round would mean more time for a phase and thus more inland runner. But maybe I'm wrong I'm me thought process.

Yea, I just checked. I wonder if the slower solution of the JMA is valid though. You would think a slower 2nd round would mean more time for a phase and thus more inland runner. But maybe I'm wrong I'm me thought process.

What do you mean by valid? It is a cleaner phase than the Euro

Without seeing qpf, I'm assuming the Euro is actually a similar synoptic evolution except the second low is faster and 100 miles further west.

Yeah it looks fairly similar...its a decent amount wetter than the Euro for wave 1, and as you mentioned, it tracks wave 2 further east than the Euro.

Right. So im asking in way, wouldn't a cleaner phase pull it inland instead of bm track?

No. Because of the separation between the first and second wave, and the cleaner phase with the second wave and the third wave from the north, the first wave is able to deepen enough past our latitude to become a 50/50.

If wave 1 can get through another model cycle or two, then we'll be inside of 100 hours for that part of the storm. That's a crucial part of the storm if we're looking for a snowier solution because 1. It gets precip into a much fresher airmass and 2. It keeps the baroclinic zone further east so that wave 2 doesn't go crazy phased cutter on us....even if it tries to track over SNE, it's a lot different than a phased cutter over BUF.

Archived