• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

2.5 inches in north JC. Initial overrunning "thump" appears to be winding down. Looking at the radar filling in and sinking south around Nashville gives me a queazy feeling about zr potential. Temperatures stuck in the mid 20's all over northeast TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm worried at the same thing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some freezing rain mixing in on the back side of that sleet band. The sleet pellets are firmly glued in place now and surfaces are rather slick. I'm now wondering if this might end up being more of an ice event here. Temp currently 27.

Radar to the SW is rapidly filling back in.

I had some freezing rain mixing in on the back side of that sleet band.  The sleet pellets are firmly glued in place now and surfaces are rather slick.  I'm now wondering if this might end up being more of an ice event here.  Temp currently 27.

Echoing what you and Powell are saying...we have a NE wind here in Kingsport.  Light at 2 mph, but that is keeping the warm nose in the southern valley.  Now, it is a race...how quick does the fire-hose out in middle TN rotate SE into the central and northern Valley?  Going to be an interesting situation to see if the Canadian temp profile at 2m verifies.  Obviously, the snow forecast is a bust for you all due to the precip shield shifting north.  But if the temp profile verifies, I will save that away for later.  Keep us posted.

Where is Carver ? Not saw any recent from him.

Watching it snow, man.  I hate to keep posting obs since our folks down in Knoxville have not gotten any snow.  We have 3" of snow here.  Looks like some nasty slop about two hours to our west.  Sleet, ZR, and a little snow.  Would appear that the cold temps have been trapped in the Valley up here.  Once that firehose gets here, it might pull down warm air from above.  Not wanting to hype anything...but the cold temps in place have my attention...

Watching it snow, man.  I hate to keep posting obs since our folks down in Knoxville have not gotten any snow.  We have 3" of snow here.  Looks like some nasty slop about two hours to our west.  Sleet, ZR, and a little snow.  Would appear that the cold temps have been trapped in the Valley up here.  Once that firehose gets here, it might pull down warm air from above.  Not wanting to hype anything...but the cold temps in place have my attention...

Please keep the obs and pictures coming!  I'm pumped that many of y'all ended up with a nice thump of snow.  We'll probably have additional chances later on down here. 

Watching it snow, man. I hate to keep posting obs since our folks down in Knoxville have not gotten any snow. We have 3" of snow here. Looks like some nasty slop about two hours to our west. Sleet, ZR, and a little snow. Would appear that the cold temps have been trapped in the Valley up here. Once that firehose gets here, it might pull down warm air from above. Not wanting to hype anything...but the cold temps in place have my attention...

It's still 26' here north of Knoxville. Gotta ways to go.

Ended up with 2.5in here at the house. Fun little front end thump. I have to say I was surprised bc I was on the VERY southern end of that band. I'm not sure it even went down into Jefferson Co.

I hate it for those south of me though. Maybe there could still be a surprise later this evening or overnight!

Please keep the obs and pictures coming!  I'm pumped that many of y'all ended up with a nice thump of snow.  We'll probably have additional chances later on down here. 

I think we have more chances based on those Euro weeklies and the ensembles.  Late Feb into mid-March look cold.  The initial band is winding down here.  Prob pushing 3.75 - 4" depending which part of my yard I measure.  We were under a really heavy band in west Kingsport.  And for you Knoxville folks, I spent seventeen years of my life there.  Being in the Central Valley is tough sometimes when folks to your north are scoring big.  In 95-96...we would received a couple of 5-8" snows.  I would call home to Kingsport, and they would have like 15-18."   But man, you all have UT football, great eats, and are close to the best national park in the world.  So, it isn't all bad.  

Watching it snow, man. I hate to keep posting obs since our folks down in Knoxville have not gotten any snow. We have 3" of snow here. Looks like some nasty slop about two hours to our west. Sleet, ZR, and a little snow. Would appear that the cold temps have been trapped in the Valley up here. Once that firehose gets here, it might pull down warm air from above. Not wanting to hype anything...but the cold temps in place have my attention...

Are you talking about snow or ZR?

Ended up with 2.5in here at the house. Fun little front end thump. I have to say I was surprised bc I was on the VERY southern end of that band. I'm not sure it even went down into Jefferson Co.

I hate it for those south of me though. Maybe there could still be a surprise later this evening or overnight!

The cut-off was VERY sharp and well-defined.  The northern most part of Jefferson County got clipped with snow, but most of the rest of the county saw very little.

I've had a few periods of sleet and light snow, but little accumulation.

Another period of sleet just moved through.  Like Stove, I'm worrying about freezing rain.  Temps didn't budge today, and wondering if they will actually get into the 40's tomorrow.  Consider we stayed in the 20s down here WITHOUT snow falling, was pretty amazing.  I assumed we would warm more being drier. 

There is a lot of returns to our west with a lot more juice.  According to radar scope it is a mix of ice and snow and has already reached Crossville.

I'm watching that Huntsville radar like a hawk.  The question is, how long do we stay below freezing?  Every model has been laughably off on temps all day.  If we stay cold through sunrise, roads are going to be nuts for the morning commute.   

I'm watching that Huntsville radar like a hawk. The question is, how long do we stay below freezing? Every model has been laughably off on temps all day. If we stay cold through sunrise, roads are going to be nuts for the morning commute.

Roads have been below freezing for what, 24 hours now?

I think we have more chances based on those Euro weeklies and the ensembles.  Late Feb into mid-March look cold.  The initial band is winding down here.  Prob pushing 3.75 - 4" depending which part of my yard I measure.  We were under a really heavy band in west Kingsport.  And for you Knoxville folks, I spent seventeen years of my life there.  Being in the Central Valley is tough sometimes when folks to your north are scoring big.  In 95-96...we would received a couple of 5-8" snows.  I would call home to Kingsport, and they would have like 15-18."   But man, you all have UT football, great eats, and are close to the best national park in the world.  So, it isn't all bad.  

Yes, the central valley can be tough.  I used to call southeastern KY home, so I knew when I moved here how often the valley can miss a heavy snow that falls in southeast KY.  I observed it up there over and over.  But, like you said, this is a beautiful area and I'm usually a short drive away from seeing snow in the mountains.  But nothing beats watching it fall at home.

The fire hose is on and will probably be back to my area in an hour or two. MRX says all snow til 5 am. I seriously hope they are right. Hours of ice won't be pleasant.

John I think if that precip just south of you gets in quick and you can keep an all snow profile you can rack up quick. You are going to going to get back into the heaviest precip quicker and stay in it longer.

Archived