joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precip looks further north IMO and is tracking more east than SE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look out west towards Nashville the returns are moving due east but when you get to the valley they are running more east south east.  We are still under a northwest flow.  That will change but maybe at first it will help us. 

Most likely i am just grasping for straws. I am hoping that slight push south will put me and Stove in better snow.  I live just north of 40 but if the wind is blowing right i can spit and hit the interstate.

Short range models may say nothing for anyone in TN, but just looking at the radar, it appears that I-40 and north will see some sort of precip today. There is a pretty good area of snow just west of Nashville, heading pretty much due east. So unless it goes *poof*, most of northern TN, west to east, should see some snow or mix this afternoon.   

The GFS prediction for 1 pm today looks to be exactly on track, if not a little slow. Shows snow streaking across the northern part of the state and mixed precip/freezing rain in SWKY. That's exactly what is happening now. Freezing rain in Paducah, snowing in Clarksville, already had some light snow here.

There will be a sharp cut-off line. This has been on most of the models for the last few runs. Right around 2 counties south of the border in Middle Tennessee, 3 counties down from the Plateau and East. The heaviest precip axis on the Euro and GFS has been from Memphis to Middlesboro and that arrives in frozen form this evening into tonight.

Very concerning trend today out of the short range models. The HI-RES nam and the HRRR are shifting the precip shield well north into Kentucky cutting down on amounts. The GFS and the RGEM are the only models left that keep enough precip south.

Look at the last 4 runs of the HRRR and watch as it's correcting itself. It goes from showing no snow at all in Tennessee about 4 hour ago, to shifting the snow towards I-40 to reflect what's actually happening.

Look at the last 4 runs of the HRRR and watch as it's correcting itself. It goes from showing no snow at all in Tennessee about 4 hour ago, to shifting the snow towards I-40 to reflect what's actually happening.

RGEM and GFS at 12z look decent if I was just cherry picking. Precip shield looks pretty robust out west. Wish we had a few more northwest TN posters for some obs.

Can't imagine it will be correct but the RGEM has moderate to heavy ice accumulations across the area. Showed my area with .75 zr with .15-.5 over a lot of the rest of the area. Shows 4-5 inches of snow then 4-6 hours of freezing rain almost right over top of me.

John, how much zr for NE TN? Eating after church at the moment...

Noticing a narrow band of snow developing over the central Plateau.  Appears to be pointing toward Knoxvegas.  Could be showing us approximately where the snow is going to set up later--north of that line. 

MRX_0.png

40 corridor and North should fill in with returns in the next hour or two and by 2 or 3 it should be snowing from Bristol to maybe Tys and points north and west.

Check out the forecast for today upstream in Southern Kentucky on the border.

Snow, mainly after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. High near 34. Southeast wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

40 corridor and North should fill in with returns in the next hour or two and by 2 or 3 it should be snowing from Bristol to maybe Tys and points north and west.

Check out the forecast for today upstream in Southern Kentucky on the border.

I have family that still live in my home town of London, Ky.  They look to be a very sweet spot today--along with you and most areas in Northern TN.  I think I'm sitting on the fence here, but watching the radar closely.  Radar returns seem to take a dive southeast as they move into East TN, so perhaps I can salvage an inch or two later. 

Could you post an Ice accretion map?

After looking at the actual GEM site the ice map is wrong. For whatever reason it took the RGEM showing 5-7.5 mm and divided it by 10 turned it into .5-.75 inches of ice.

This is the actual map. Some 5 mm with a few 7.5 mm blobs on the latest run, which is roughly .2 to .3 ice.

ZR_000-048_0000.gif

Noticing a narrow band of snow developing over the central Plateau. Appears to be pointing toward Knoxvegas. Could be showing us approximately where the snow is going to set up later--north of that line.

MRX_0.png

I'm interested to see if that streak of snow holds together or are we going to get downsloped in the valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was coming down heavy here in White House Tennessee around 9:30am. Thing is it sounded like a sleet storm so I'm starting to wonder if I even see two inches out of this before it changes over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was that sleet or snow? It should have been snow, your 850 and 925mb temps are both -3c and obviously it's below freezing at the surface too.

Archived