Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 22-24th Blizzard Observation and Snow Reports

The Iceman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ILG and PHL will be the "losers" today. Dry slot and being on the south edge of bands will hurt. Models did well on the dry slot more or less over the entire state of DE. Short range models indicating the best banding 20-25 miles N to NW.

Not really? Dry slot lasted all of maybe 20-30 minutes now radar completely filled in and heavy snow. 14" here in Wyndmoor.

Sounds interesting for us out here

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
751 AM CHECK: CONSIDERING INCREASING OUR STORM TOTAL GRAPHIC/SNOW
AMOUNTS BY 5 TO 8 INCHES I-78 NORTHWARD. WILL ACT ONE WAY OR
THEOTHER AROUND 915 AM. THIS PER THE NAM CRUSHING QPF AND BANDING
SIGNAL FOR THE ARC KRDG-KMMU MIDDAY THRU THIS EVENING. 800-600MB
FGEN LOOKS VERY GOOD AS WELL AS SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE DEEP RH FIELD
WHICH IS USUALLY WHERE BEST LIFT OCCURS. JUST WANT TO DOUBLE CHECK
WITH OUR NEIGHBORS AND ALSO THE 12Z NAM.

Some of the heaviest snow of the storm has picked up here in Warminster. Pure whiteout at times. Havent seen or heard any pingers yet, tho there are reports of sleet mixed in as near as 10 miles from here. Measured 16.25" just now. Gusts are strong. Thats all I got.

Measured at 8:30  8"

Whats is up with all the huge totals lol  Little dissapointed here less than 1" an hour since 2am

Sounds interesting for us out here

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

751 AM CHECK: CONSIDERING INCREASING OUR STORM TOTAL GRAPHIC/SNOW

AMOUNTS BY 5 TO 8 INCHES I-78 NORTHWARD. WILL ACT ONE WAY OR

THEOTHER AROUND 915 AM. THIS PER THE NAM CRUSHING QPF AND BANDING

SIGNAL FOR THE ARC KRDG-KMMU MIDDAY THRU THIS EVENING. 800-600MB

FGEN LOOKS VERY GOOD AS WELL AS SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE DEEP RH FIELD

WHICH IS USUALLY WHERE BEST LIFT OCCURS. JUST WANT TO DOUBLE CHECK

WITH OUR NEIGHBORS AND ALSO THE 12Z NAM.

Holy Christ! They are already forecasting 18-24

As of 6:30 am, we have 7.5" (average of about 20 measurements, which is needed when it's this windy) on the ground, which means we've been getting over an inch per hour since 3 am (4.5" in 3.5 hrs). Took me about 45 minutes for shovel #2 and it was ripping 30-40 dBZ for part of that time, with <1/4 mile visibility, i.e., heavy snow. 23F out there.  Damn it's gorgeous and now the sun's coming up, so we all get to see it better now.  

Went back out at 7:30 am and measured an average of about 8.5", did my 3rd shovel of the storm (maybe the toughest one, 30 min after the plows went by and threw all the heavier, wetter snow from the road into the bottom of my driveway and somewhat onto my sidewalk), and then at 8:30 am measured again and I'm estimating 9.5".  

But man it's really tough to measure, as it's pretty windy (not like it will be, maybe 15 mph w/25 mph gusts) and the snow is quite dry (nice dendrites), so I'm seeing variations from 8 to 11" all over the yard (I have a large, tree-free, fairly quiescent back yard) and there are even some bare spots and drifts to 24" already.  I have no idea why I love this stuff so much, but I do - made a nice snow angel and took a nice Jeb-walk (is that guy from DC still around?).  Have to say, this storm reminds me of Jan-96.  

The dry slot looks to be filling in  :whistle: . With that and 11 inches currently on the ground IMBY I am guessing another 10 inches seems to be a good bet since we have at least 12 more hours of snow with what looks to be mostly at least an inch per hour snow rates after looking at the radar. Currently the temperature is 25.3 Degrees. Hopefully we don't get sleet

Archived