joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not about the storm going south but a gradual decline in dynamics. The 06z gfs is dampening things, the storm isn't as potent as it was a couple days ago.

If these trends continue with other models for the 12z suite then there's plenty to worry about.

Interesting, so we might just be looking at a regular snowfall, which would be fine. These computer models are driving everyone crazy these days. So really anything is still in play I guess.

Question: Why does it seem that, as we approach show time, the three main models now seem to be diverging in how they evolve the storm? It seemed to me they were in better agreement earlier on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always seems to happen as energy comes onshore and sampling gets better. No cause for alarm imo. By 12Z wednesday we should be getting a really solid general consensus with more convergence on a solution rather than divergence.

Its not about the storm going south but a gradual decline in dynamics. The 06z gfs is dampening things, the storm isn't as potent as it was a couple days ago.

If these trends continue with other models for the 12z suite then there's plenty to worry about.

By the way when these things don't go well for us, and let's face it they often don't, I put myself in the shoes of all the people who dread these events and say well, at least someone, OK mostly everyone beside people like us, is  happy....

Always seems to happen as energy comes onshore and sampling gets better. No cause for alarm imo. By 12Z wednesday we should be getting a really solid general consensus with more convergence on a solution rather than divergence.

Don't know Ralph, I gassed up the snow blowers and they started right up, that's the kiss of death right there....

Well said. Did anyone seriously expect this to keep getting more intense and stronger over the next 3-4 days? Models and real-weather can only get so extreme. Starting to get more realistic looking now. And 10"+ is nothing to raise your nose to. Like Ive been saying since this showed up, temper your expectations and you will be fine.

It's looking likely that we at least get a 6-10" storm out of this but I feel we're going to see models back away on the much bigger amounts for the next couple days.

I think you may be right, I mean those big storms are rare, we shouldn't be seeing them often, a well timed 6-10 as we found in 2014 can be just what the doctor ordered; and I mean that; studies show snow actually lifts peoples spirits in winter. We hear much complaining about SAD but there are many people ( a minority to be sure ) who enjoy a good snow. enthusiasm goes down when you start getting over a foot though...

Well said. Did anyone seriously expect this to keep getting more intense and stronger over the next 3-4 days? Models and real-weather can only get so extreme. Starting to get more realistic looking now. And 10"+ is nothing to raise your nose to. Like Ive been saying since this showed up, temper your expectations and you will be fine.

And a week ago we were begging for a couple inches...right?

And a week ago we were begging for a couple inches...right?

Exactly. We should take whatever we can get. And who's to say those extreme solutions wont resurface in the next few days? Its very possible. In not writing off a big ticket event. I just think some folks that were expecting 2-3'+ etched in stone need to put their expectations in-check. Expect less, celebrate a bonus.

Exactly. We should take whatever we can get. And who's to say those extreme solutions wont resurface in the next few days? Its very possible. In not writing off a big ticket event. I just think some folks that were expecting 2-3'+ etched in stone need to put their expectations in-check. Expect less, celebrate a bonus.

Ya know I don't remember 2006 blizzard being modeled to be so great, and it underperformed in a lot of areas; areas just a few miles from me, in bike riding territory, got 28 where I got about 18. It was a big storm for NYC in an otherwise lame winter.

Are weenies really complaining because it might be only 10 inches or god forbid 6 inches...wtf is wrong with people. Live through the 80s and 90s and you will see how rare 18 inch dumps are

Who's complaining? Can you quote someone?

I've only seen people discussing the extremely sharp cutoff associated with the euro and 06z GFS

Again I don't know how 12" or 17" is moderate snowfall based on the latest runs of the gfs and euro

Well I know it would not be moderate, if we get that much. By the way its weatherpruf, not puf...assuming that's a typo. And so you know I do not do analysis, ever. I may make commentary, but my primary interest is in weather as a social phenomenon, and these types of storms, or rumors of them, are great laboratories for that kind of observation. Truth be told though, 12 is not really that big a deal on the weekend. Would have to hit mid morning on a weekday, then it would be rough...but in the 80's we were hard pressed to see even that much. And of course, no hard feelings against you. Always pay attention to your posts as you are local.

Well I know it would not be moderate, if we get that much. By the way its weatherpruf, not puf...assuming that's a typo. And so you know I do not do analysis, ever. I may make commentary, but my primary interest is in weather as a social phenomenon, and these types of storms, or rumors of them, are great laboratories for that kind of observation. Truth be told though, 12 is not really that big a deal on the weekend. Would have to hit mid morning on a weekday, then it would be rough...but in the 80's we were hard pressed to see even that much. And of course, no hard feelings against you. Always pay attention to your posts as you are local.

Def a typo lol

Archived