e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February Pattern Disco

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A heavy synoptic cold March snowstorm (8"+) that covers almost all of SNE with zero mixing is really rare actually.

You probably will find maybe 2 per decade on average....you just end up disqualifying so many storms that were cold but mixed (like '07), were paste jobs or screwed somewhere like the valley (like Mar 2013) or didn't give enough snow to qualify (like March 2009).

I mean, even in the 1990s, the glory years of many March snow events...how many qualify? Maybe March 7-8, 1996...Mar 3, 1994? Though that latter one had mixing issues near the coast, so we disqualify. Mar 1993 is disqualified because sleet mixed in many spots. Mar 4-5, 1993 is disqualified because it wasn't cold. Mar 1999 disqualified because not everywhere got enough snow. Etc, etc.

well the first three march events you mentioned were nice...despite a little mixing near the coast or in the superstorms case after more than 8 inches of snow just about regionwide....forget that one in 99...that was for the birds

It is definitely a top 10 snowstorm regionwide for SNE as a whole. You could maybe even argue top 5 or 6.

to produce heavy snowfall from the berks all the way to ack and everywhere in between is mind boggling to me...i cannot even imagine all the greens and yellows on the radar if that happened today...those who sucked subsidence prob still had 10-15 of arctic packed wind blown sand

Rumor has it there is a big warm up next weekend? Or was just the op?

Could be mildish next weekend...ensembles showed the possibility...but a bit muddy on details...last night's 00z Euro show you how it could fail. But that 1-2 day mild spell has been on guidance for a while now. It was originally like a 3-4 day all out torch.

Archived