• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Pattern Disco

40/70 Benchmark

Secondly, I asked the other day if the Model thread should not be re-pinned, - but , heh, I didn't get a response either. So I started discussing models and patterns conjointly here. ;)

Yeah definitely needs to be pinned, otherwise you get today with model discussion here and the Model mezzo thread down below the Debra thread halfway down the page.

It's easier for those of us that do themajority of posting from mobile devices.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel partly responsible for the last several pages of this Pattern discussion thread going into model specifics. 

First of all, there is a HUGE difference between discussing model outputs, trends and differences between cycles and versus one another, to that of using broader canvased teleconnector reasoning to create an opinion about a month's pattern.   Those two are getting confused in a smoldering hostility by nascent posters. 

Secondly, I asked the other day if the Model thread should not be re-pinned, - but , heh, I didn't get a response either. So I started discussing models and patterns conjointly here.   ;)

nascent this

C'mon guys...what is with the ridiculous semantical arguments?

We've been doing pattern threads for like 3 winters now...it's not that hard. Discuss the general signals in here and teleconnections and ensemble type guidance....if you want to discuss where the 850 0C line is and the QPF amounts on a 174 hour prog, then go to the model thread.

Be wary of that next winter, in La Niñas the GFS generally tends to perform better on significant winter systems because they are usually northern stream dominated

This is true ... but is there an expected La Nina ...   ? 

I was thinking La Nada my self... 

The GFS has been pretty bad in Ninas. The euro did a lot better in 2008,2009, and 2011 IMO.

Really? 

well, I tell you what - I agreed with him (her) but ... put it this way:  the GFS does better in Ninas than otherwise :)

Of course, all that is subject to retest because NCEP has just upgraded the hardware such that it is 3 X more powerful in computing capacity.  That's in part why the output from the GFS is coming up with obscene granularity at D9s ...  Not sure if that's more accurate per se -

Well we shall see this year, if...we do have Nina. A lot of guidance points to at least weak. However, the GFS has been terrible in previous Ninas. Way too far SE. The euro really solidified Dr No in the '07-'08 winter when it crushed the hopes of weenies from NYC-DCA. I'm not sure the old nrn stream idea works. Modeling has changed a lot. It's also why we probably can't apply any model bias during previous ENSO events. I'm just commenting on past performance.

Well we shall see this year, if...we do have Nina. A lot of guidance points to at least weak. However, the GFS has been terrible in previous Ninas. Way too far SE. The euro really solidified Dr No in the '07-'08 winter when it crushed the hopes of weenies from NYC-DCA. I'm not sure the old nrn stream idea works. Modeling has changed a lot. It's also why we probably can't apply any model bias during previous ENSO events. I'm just commenting on past performance.

I have no idea where they came up with that

This is true ... but is there an expected La Nina ...   ? 

I was thinking La Nada my self... 

I don't think its going to be as strong as some of the climate models show.  I think maybe 83-84, certainly unlikely based on evidence right now that it will go 98-99 or 10-11.  There will probably end up being a better STJ next winter than there was this year.  I know we had a La Nina in recent years that had an active STJ and surprised everyone.

It definitely seems the Euro is not as good as it used to be for some reason.  I assume its because the UKMET/GFS/CMC have probably closed the gap somewhat.  Also the fact everyone now looks at models regularly out to day 5-8 more so than was the case 10 years ago.

Euro ensembles look good right through the end of the run....there's a huge EPO ridge that tries to build all the way into the central arctic.

May have to get a March pattern thread fired up soon. I'll bet the month starts off with storm threats and generally below average temps.

Archived