• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 9-10th snow threat. Disco/OBS

dmc76

FWIW it didn't do too well on 2m temps with the recent ice storm.  It had parts of northern IL rising above 40 the evening of the event, and temps didn't get close to that warm in reality.  

Yeah it was too mild. It got to about 35-36° under the low for 3-4 hours before it started slowly dropping back off again.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar position as the GEM.

gem_T850_us_13.png

Well hopefully the snow cover doesn't go anywhere up this way over the next 48 hours. Would help areas flip to snow quicker just downwind.

I don't think a light snowcover would affect the storm track. Wouldn't hurt but wouldn't necessarily help either. I'm for whatever shifts it east though lol.

1.6" IMBY final call

really liking this call

The mean storm track is extremely favorable for chicagoland but once again the lack of deep cold and adjacent bathtub is going to hurt totals IMBY. System speed and lack of any pre-seasoning fen band won't help totals either. Suspect the Euro is a bit stingy on the defo based on the 500mb config and rapid deepening in the vicinity. 

Either way, mostly rain with a brief heavy defo hit on the tail end sounds right and my call appears to be money in the bank

really liking this call

The mean storm track is extremely favorable for chicagoland but once again the lack of deep cold and adjacent bathtub is going to hurt totals IMBY. System speed and lack of any pre-seasoning fen band won't help totals either. Suspect the Euro is a bit stingy on the defo based on the 500mb config and rapid deepening in the vicinity.

Either way, mostly rain with a brief heavy defo hit on the tail end sounds right and my call appears to be money in the bank

I wouldn't be so sure of any snow quite yet until we see a less radically warm Euro.

NAM looks like 85% driving rainstorm. GFS looks to keep most of the column cold enough for all snow.

I wouldn't be so sure of any snow quite yet until we see a less radically warm Euro.

NAM looks like 85% driving rainstorm. GFS looks to keep most of the column cold enough for all snow.

i'm pretty confident on snow

clearly i think amounts will be under headline criteria for our area, hence my call of 1.6

even if most of the storm is rain (and it likely will be) i don't see any reason why we don't flip to snow and see a brief accumulation if the slp/850 low tracks anywhere close to current guidance

i'm pretty confident on snow

clearly i think amounts will be under headline criteria for our area, hence my call of 1.6

even if most of the storm is rain (and it likely will be) i don't see any reason why we don't flip to snow and see a brief accumulation if the slp/850 low tracks anywhere close to current guidance

I also think that a flip to snow is likely, but I'm weary of any totals (even your call) panning out with a wet ground and 2m temps in the mid 30s.

I also think that a flip to snow is likely, but I'm weary of any totals (even your call) panning out with a wet ground and 2m temps in the mid 30s.

when the cold hits, it's going to flip fast (thanks to the SLP position), this shouldn't be a gradual changeover (of course further shifts west change that)

there is a reason the pros have the best probability of 2"+ right through the area

anyways, looks like the 12z NAM will dig he h5 vort a tiny bit more into the southwest compared to 6z with increased wave spacing...we'll see how it translates downstream...ideally it slows things down and gives better cold air time to sink into place but that's obviously pure :weenie:

I'll take this in a heartbeat, especially with cold temps to set in after.

it's a nice run for our area, hope it's not a trend back east towards a non-event

i'd much prefer something more wound up. this is probably the best middle ground though, probably some lake enhancement on the tail end with this track as well

it's a nice run for our area, hope it's not a trend back east towards a non-event

i'd much prefer something more wound up. this is probably the best middle ground though, probably some lake enhancement on the tail end with this track as well

Was looking at that as well. 850s crash around hours 69-72, which looks prime for the metro and better for NW Indiana.

Archived