joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strength of the El Nino related subtropical jet continues to be too much for the East this winter. I would be suprised of anything changed in February.

Joe Bastardi even brings it up this morning in his Atmospheric Advenger post.

One thing that can be noted is that all of the models have been very hesitant to even spin up fantasy snow storms. At least give them credit for that.

All one can do is call it as it is.

SdIHze7.jpg

The strength of the El Nino related subtropical jet continues to be too much for the East this winter. I would be suprised of anything changed in February.

One thing that can be noted is that all of the models have been very hesitant to even spin up fantasy snow storms. At least give them credit for that.

Isn't the El Nino forecast to weaken some by next month which would help with this? I thought I read that somewhere.

General forward looking pattern progression is...-NAO ridge retrogrades west and runs into +PNA ridge in W Canada, sending the PV low stuck over Central Canada south into the US.  Cold high pressure follows and we then have a 3 day window for something to stir up along the gulf...then the cold high pulls on out and we go zonal.

But if the Nino is gradually weakening wouldn't that help towards February? Not sure how fast it's weakening so not sure how that will affect anything. The Euro is close enough to bear watching as mentioned before. I'm giving up on the GFS completely until we get a potential storm within 5 days, otherwise I really don't think there's a point to really watch it.

Have you been looking at the models? They've had a lot of fantasy snow storms lately...thus why everyone is going from depressed to happy to depressed again.  I have no dog in the fight as I'll be out of the country when the fun and games look to start. We just really need the cold to entrench first. That's what the models showed last week happening this week and now it appears the cold is transient. It's simply rare to thread the needle when no real source of cold air. 

Just me, but this nino is right there with the strongest of all time....so, hard to count on any weakening of the Pac jet regardless of some slight SST weakening over the next few months.  I think the key areas to watch are W Canada up into E Alaska - don't want to see ridging there collapse as we go forward (i.e. Gulf of Alaska low too far east and too strong would cause it)....and watch the AO/NAO domains for 'help' there.

Have you been looking at the models? They've had a lot of fantasy snow storms lately...thus why everyone is going from depressed to happy to depressed again.  I have no dog in the fight as I'll be out of the country when the fun and games look to start. We just really need the cold to entrench first. That's what the models showed last week happening this week and now it appears the cold is transient. It's simply rare to thread the needle when no real source of cold air. 

Was thinking the same thing Burger

Agreed. And while it's going to be plenty cold, it's not cold that we haven't seen before, so it's not that brutal. Combine that with an active STJ and we open up a whole range of possibilities.  

I just don't think the models will get the surface stuff correct until we get pretty close. Too much going on for them to focus. ;-)

Euro had a mega fantasy storm on the Saturday 00z run, GFS had a mega fantasy storm yesterday.. Not sure you can claim that last point.

They have spun a few up, but until we get close, they will never get the surface correct. Way too much stuff flying around in my opinion. 

Been watching the ensembles over on my blog and they've been pretty consistent in their depiction of the upper air features. They've moved around some, but still consistent. I can't help but think that next week is going to surprise a few people. 

Euro Ens mean has a swath of light snow or wintry precip across a good portion of the south from hr 126 to 156 (down into central AL/GA/SC) so there must be some members showing a storm in that timeframe

That is this weekend I think? I thought that was written off as dead. Sounds like there is still a flickering flame.

Archived