CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last 30-days global model skill [5-days NHemi 500-mb height] ECMWF op: 0.928 ECMWF par: 0.931 GFS: 0.905

Looks like we should be giving more weight to the parallel EURO for those with access. I believe this is the second month in a a row for this.

A 30-day avg difference of a couple hundredths in NA H5 Z skill has little to no impact operationally. In fact, no impact whatsoever is more likely.  

I've always wondered what exactly is being measured in a verification score?  Temperatures for random locations?  Positions of lows and highs?  Precip amounts?  Does anyone know?

I think that post says at 500mb.... troughs, ridges, etc the stuff that we care about.

Interesting read about the ECMWF vs. the GFS:

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/69/1/10.1063/PT.3.3046

Some say the superiority of the ECMWF is overblown. “It’s better, but not that much better,” says Maue. When averaged across the world, the European model is more accurate to one-quarter to one-half a day further out than the American model. In other words, the ECMWF’s 5.5-day forecast has typically the same skill as a GFS 5-day forecast, he says.

I think that post says at 500mb.... troughs, ridges, etc the stuff that we care about.

Thanks.  I missed it in the tweet.  I still wonder how it is calculated.  I'm sure it's complicated.  I guess the takeaway is the ranking of the models, but what it's measuring and how it's calculated seems important to me.

Don't look at the CMC then

Too late.

Uggh...so much for index chasing. Back to the drawing board. ;)

The whole thing needs to go into the recycle bin at this point, followed by a reboot.

Did NCrain hack your account !

How are the dandelions?

At least we have the analogues, Larry Cosgrove, and a Strat assault.

Uggh...so much for index chasing. Back to the drawing board. ;)

If we only go out to day 7 on the GFS(which could still be too much), this setup up is not bad. We just need a slightly different look for that SW system as it moves east. We need to continue to keep an eye on this time period.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_168_500_vort_ht.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=500_vort_ht&fhr=168&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160111+12+UTC&ps=model&use_mins=no&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

What whole thing? Index chasing? 

The whole pattern.  I don't like where it looks like it's going.

I guess model storm chasing and index chasing is fine.  There's nothing else to do.  I mean, hopefully, people really understand just because indexes say something doesn't mean we're getting a snowstorm.  Still like seeing a Greenland block, though. :)

Archived