SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also get a ton of wind so I'm sure measuring is more estimate than anything. They've got those flat wind-swept mountain tops above treeline with 2,000 verts of wind-loaded terrain below over the edge. Those gullies and faces have to drift to like 30 feet deep in spots.

That's right. Very similar behavior to above treeline terrain in the whites. Wind swept tops are sastrugi and ice. Coolers are packed full with 10M of windblown snow by late winter.  

Avalanches are also a very very serious risk up there with all that wind loading. One of the scarier ski experiences I've had recently was booting up a very punchy shoulder that had a wind slab too hard and thick to skin up. Each step was like punching through 5-6" thick pane of styrofoam into soft snow underneath. The slab would settle every few steps. No fun.  (And that was before we reached the flat windswept top and were met with 40-50mph winds and a whiteout). 

------

Also, looks like the GFS and euro are taking away the nice upslope signal I was seeing after next week's mid-week cutter. Sweeeeet. Nothing like some heavy rain followed by a sharp freeze and an inch of dust. 

Yeah the torch is in place without question. The rainstorm is still on for next week on the Euro but the overnight run takes the primary low with the cutter farther west, through WI and into Ontario before eventually reaching Hudson Bay. The secondary develops over western NY and moves over BTV Mon night before quickly shooting east and deepening as it exits through northern ME. The primary low never really dies, and in fact both lows are in the 970's by the time the secondary hits New Brunswick. I suppose the high terrain could catch a flake or two on the back end.

Left CON with mostly sunny skies, but could see the clouds just to the north...was probably 52-54F. For those who know 93...I hit the mid level clouds quickly around exit 16. It wasn't until just before exit 19 where I hit the low clouds and fog. Still 44F at the casa with patchy fog.

Left CON with mostly sunny skies, but could see the clouds just to the north...was probably 52-54F. For those who know 93...I hit the mid level clouds quickly around exit 16. It wasn't until just before exit 19 where I hit the low clouds and fog. Still 44F at the casa with patchy fog.

Above the Clouds....

Cloudy, foggy and socked in all day here in the Bristol/Plymouth area of New Hampshire.  I was in thick fog at 600 feet above lake elevation.  Down at Newfound Lake vis was about a mile with some drizzle and low clouds  just off the deck.  Temps stayed in the low 40's at my house.  Mid afternoon I decided to have some fun with the new drone and see if I could get it above the cloud deck. At my elevation I was in the fog but it was bright so I knew the top of the ceiling could not be too high.  So took it out and went straight up to 1000 feet over my house which is around 1600 feet over the surrounding countryside.  Wow!  Got over the deck into sunshine.  Was totally flying by the controller as I could not see the drone.  I made 2 videos, going up and then coming rapidly back down through the clouds.  Just too much fun for a weather nerd!   Each video runs about 2 minutes.  

At the very end of the descent when my house comes into view you can see the davis station on the roof and briefly on the right side of my house looking out is the Netcam in its case.

For more video fun I bought a new Nest cam so I can make timelapses of the weather.  I made a timelapse of today's weather.  Fogged in at first but then we are in and out of the low clouds all day.  I thought it was very cool too! I don't know what that line object is in the lens but I moved the cam and its gone now...

https://video.nest.com/clip/f0b2f538fe654315bdbbc0dbb7d60b08.mp4

Going Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xb_hp_3qxI    Going down

PWM reached low 50s, AUG low 40s and fog, home hanging upper 30s, probably a foggy drive after work.

All the while over here we were locked in low 40s for a while until the clouds broke and some sunshine came through...then we shot up to 53F...and have since settled back to 40F.  Its currently 12F colder on east side at MVL than it is on the west side at BTV.

All the while over here we were locked in low 40s for a while until the clouds broke and some sunshine came through...then we shot up to 53F...and have since settled back to 40F.  Its currently 12F colder on east side at MVL than it is on the west side at BTV.

I think we might rinse and repeat this trend over the weekend into Monday. Models starting to hit the damming harder now.

That's awesome Gene. Highly jelly.

Thanks everyone.   Love this stuff.  I just have to be careful with wind.  The manual says don't fly above 12mph.  That's fine around my yard but once you get a couple of hundred feet above treeline it can obviously be a different story.  The drone locks onto GPS satellites but if it was downwind I don't know how much power it would have to come back.  Battery says it can fly 22 minutes but if its 1/2 mile away and fighting wind it could run out of power before I could get it back.  Anyhow if there is anymore interesting weather video I get I'll post it.  Once we get snowcover it's going to be put away.  The last thing I want is to land in snow and tip and break the props! 

PS.  Legally the FAA puts a 400 foot above ground ceiling on drones.  Aircraft can fly as low as 500 feet.  I live in a very rural area with almost no aircraft so this past week I have briefly cheated and gone up to 1200 feet above my house which is at 1100 feet.  So in essence I have flown as high as 2300 feet above the surrounding countryside.  From now on unless there is some special weather event like today I will keep it within 400 feet.  For those of you that are thinking of getting one in an urban setting you got to be really careful.  They can crash easily on someone else's property.  You also need a good line of sight so that the controller can communicate with the drone.  My typhoon uses WIFI.  If it looses the controller signal it is suppose to fly back to home.  Anyhow its a great technology and I think will become highly regulated soon as they become more popular.  Sorry for all the drone talk on a weather board but just wanted to share my input!!

Archived