• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

The jig is up with the stratospheric polar vortex. HM, one of the most knowledgeable meteorologists out there, and someone who was optimistic for a SSW and polar vortex split just tweeted "cringe worthy trends this week" in regard to the stratospheric polar vortex. We are beating a dead horse with it, still zero signs of warming and we are 2 weeks away from February. Time to call it a day....

There is no tweet from HM, but I know he has soured on the possibility, not that this matters. Our own Isotherm has not soured on it, and he is way more of a strat expert than HM. The trends this week have been favorable. I am skeptical myself, but to make a statement that there "is zero signs of warming" is just ignorant and ridiculous. Then again, this is banter and you are the biggest troll in the NYC forums.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no tweet from HM, but I know he has soured on the possibility, not that this matters. Our own Isotherm has not soured on it, and he is way more of a strat expert than HM. The trends this week have been favorable. HM has been behind on just about every single pattern evolution over the past two Winters. I am skeptical myself, but to make a statement that there "is zero signs of warming" is just ignorant and ridiculous. Then again, this is banter and you are the biggest troll in the NYC forums.

Post some examples or this is going bye bye very quickly. Met bashing will not be tolerated.

There is no tweet from HM, but I know he has soured on the possibility, not that this matters. Our own Isotherm has not soured on it, and he is way more of a strat expert than HM. The trends this week have been favorable. I am skeptical myself, but to make a statement that there "is zero signs of warming" is just ignorant and ridiculous. Then again, this is banter and you are the biggest troll in the NYC forums.

HM actually did tweet "cringe worthy trends this week" in response to someone else.

Some people on this board don't want to hear facts . You didn't say that it was 100 percent coming. You just stated what the models show.  Let snowman think what he wants. Isotherm does a great job along with Dsnow and Earthlight in regards to the stratosphere.

I think a another concern is how Hurricane Alex is going to effect the current pattern as it moves into the north atlantic......and no one that I noticed answered my question regarding the lag time translating down to the surface after a strat warming event.....

Many posters have explained to you time and time again that a PV split does not mean cold and snowy is on the way. You can hype this all you want, but again, many posters have explained that the focus on SSW is way overblown.

Many posters have explained to you time and time again that a PV split does not mean cold and snowy is on the way. You can hype this all you want, but again, many posters have explained that the focus on SSW is way overblown.

The correlation is quite high, if there's a legitimate one it's actually a very positive development. The only thing is that it's always in fantasy range and the clock's ticking for it to have a significant impact.

We have a -NAO and its warm and wet. -NAO doesnt matter when the PAC is a trainwreck.

We can be warm in every single blocking regime (maybe even all of them together) but it usually won't torch, the days we are torching this month are because of storms cutting to our west, it's far from a torchy pattern though overall. Sometimes luck is needed every bit as much as a decent pattern. Get a solid SSW event before January 25th and I'll get a little excited, otherwise meh.

The correlation is quite high, if there's a legitimate one it's actually a very positive development. The only thing is that it's always in fantasy range and the clock's ticking for it to have a significant impact.

Not true at all. Don S made a great post about this, as have others. It's completely overstated. 

We can be warm in every single blocking regime (maybe even all of them together) but it usually won't torch, the days we are torching this month are because of storms cutting to our west, it's far from a torchy pattern though overall. Sometimes luck is needed every bit as much as a decent pattern. Get a solid SSW event before January 25th and I'll get a little excited, otherwise meh.

Correct. We have a strong -AO and -NAO and we have flurries to show for it. 

Not true at all. Don S made a great post about this, as have others. It's completely overstated.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I also learned yesterday that Nina patterns are generally more progressive than Nino ones. Of course the general patterns at any given time will still dictate how progressive it is, but I do remember some years that absolutely nothing had time to amplify to any degree and storms were zipping by at insane speeds.

Yes. A strong, overwhelming pacific signal always trumps the NAO and AO. Weather moves west to east. It's a rather simple concept.

Yep, it was very evident the last few years with the -EPO, although a negative -NAO and -AO have generally done well for us historically even with a less than stellar Pacific signal. It doesn't have to be 20 degrees every day to snow.

sometimes things don't work out due to other factors thrumping a good block...this year is so different from any other start to winter on record...I believe if the blocking comes back in February or March something major could happen...I'm just hoping for measurable snow the next two weeks...If February doesn't deliver March could be the month...Then again it could be mild and snowless...If there is no blocking in February it would be very mild...record mild...at this time I'm sticking with a much better second half of the winter...

sometimes things don't work out due to other factors thrumping a good block...this year is so different from any other start to winter on record...I believe if the blocking comes back in February or March something major could happen...I'm just hoping for measurable snow the next two weeks...If February doesn't deliver March could be the month...Then again it could be mild and snowless...If there is no blocking in February it would be very mild...record mild...at this time I'm sticking with a much better second half of the winter...

A good example is tomorrow's storm, if not for that stout ULL we would've have that HP coming down and confluence over Canada would've vastly changed the outcome of the storm, at the end of the day the players need to come together in every pattern, but you still have to play the odds. In December there was literally zero chance it was gonna snow, this month has had a few close calls but at the end of the day it's like when a player gets robbed of a home run by a leaping catch over the wall it still shows as an out on the scorecard.

I remember the ski resorts in the Catskills reporting insane numbers, Belleayre and Plattekill reported over 8 feet of snow for the entire event while low elevation places like 25 miles east had pretty much all rain. I went skiing about a week later and the drive was insane as it went from no snow on the Thruway to massive snowbanks everywhere as we drove west.

Two feet in Queens from that storm? Show me an official report that had anywhere close to 24" inside the five boroughs. 

I had 18 inches from that storm.

We have a -NAO and its warm and wet. -NAO doesnt matter when the PAC is a trainwreck.

I would rather have a -EPO than a -NAO.

Central Park got 21 inches, it's really not that far fetched that he got 2'.

Snow to light rain to heavy thundersnow at night over here. What a beautiful storm. I remember every meteorologist calling for mostly rain for NYC. I had snow in the morning while a few miles away from me to the east had rain for a short time.

Snow to light rain to heavy thundersnow at night over here. What a beautiful storm. I remember every meteorologist calling for mostly rain for NYC. I had snow in the morning while a few miles away from me to the east had rain for a short time.

It snowed heavily out my way but it was super wet with very poor ratios. Maybe 4:1 or 6:1 at best. 

Regarding the EPO, it's actually negative now so it's not like that's the reason we're not getting snow tomorrow, things simply didn't come together.

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

EPO was modeled to go negative with the storm next weekend. None of the tellies are in our favor for that storm. Maybe we might get lucky since the favorable tellies didn't do anything for us.

Archived