• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

I noticed cfs weeklies had temps near to below normal weeks 1 thru 3, then above normal week 4. Hoping the last week of January offers some snow chances as I'll be on vacation.

Week 4 of the CFS has about as much skill at forecasting as Miss Cleo.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS loving the I-70 corridor for the storm next Thursday/Friday.

Yeah it is allowing the low to dig south and gather a lot of gulf moisture. With that being said I won't believe any run like this until inside of day 5 and then we'd still probably end up with 34 degrees and rain here in Ohio lol

AO looks to hold deeply negative and the NAO looks to hold on the negative side for the foreseeable future.

PNA is remaining +, so I would side with more days below normal than anything.

GEFS showing the heart of the cold to the west mostly.

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_1.png

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_2.png

Does let up a bit 11-15 days out.

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_3.png

Actually more like 180ish and Euro is the only one holding on to the "torch" idea. GFS/GGEM jumped ship over the last 24 hours.

Well if the EURO is showing a torch, then it will probably end up being the opposite - with the way that model has been performing this winter.  :lmao:

Well if the EURO is showing a torch, then it will probably end up being the opposite - with the way that model has been performing this winter.  :lmao:

Hopefully the Euro is out to lunch.  After 180hrs it's pretty terrible if you want snow in this sub.  8-9 day storm is shown as a whimpering little rain system lol.

AO looks to hold deeply negative and the NAO looks to hold on the negative side for the foreseeable future.

GEFS showing the heart of the cold to the west mostly.

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_1.png

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_2.png

Does let up a bit 11-15 days out.

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_3.png

NAO goes neutral, and the AO rises considerably, yes it will still be negative but no where near what it has been and even some ensembles take it closer to positive...

Gets cut off from the mean flow, I don't buy it with both an active southern and northern stream.

Yeah this isn't the pattern for cut off's. If you remember the sleet storm low was forecasted to wander the southern Plains as a cut off for awhile and dump snow in the high Plains, but that turned out a lot different as we know.

As Stebo said, the AO and the NAO are both forecasted to head to neutral around the 20-21st timeframe.  That being said, I'm not sure what if anything that means in real weather terms.   After all the AO has been around -4 for awhile, the NAO around -2, and the PNA has been slightly positive.  On paper that would mean we should be watching storms scrape us to the south and east and yet we are going to have rain tomorrow.  

This probably has to be one of the toughest forecast winters, (storm-wise), I can remember and every model has suffered outside of 4 days.  As far as that storm next week....it's all fantasy until about 96 hours, and even then.....

As Stebo said, the AO and the NAO are both forecasted to head to neutral around the 20-21st timeframe.  That being said, I'm not sure what if anything that means in real weather terms.   After all the AO has been around -4 for awhile, the NAO around -2, and the PNA has been slightly positive.  On paper that would mean we should be watching storms scrape us to the south and east and yet we are going to have rain tomorrow.  

This probably has to be one of the toughest forecast winters, (storm-wise), I can remember and every model has suffered outside of 4 days.  As far as that storm next week....it's all fantasy until about 96 hours, and even then.....

Outside of FOUR days? How generous you are :lol:

So we're canceling winter again?

Anyways, a solid 6-8" snowpack has established itself over the area. It's beautiful outside, it smells and feels like the dead of winter. Love it. Hopefully our long range favors more of this. It seems like we continue this straight into Feb.

Feb will be rock'n!   no one is cancelling sh*t

Archived