joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PRE hasn't received much discussion. The 00z ECMWF even with a miss still shows the area receiving 2-5" of rain from that alone.

The 06z GFS is a bit further South but we get a few inches of rain from the mid-atlantic landfall.

The 00z GGEM is very similar to the GFS, just about 50 miles further North.

6fa33661b2fd5727f7540cb5903566b1.jpg

Look out how well established the outflow is in all quadrants. And on top of that the current storm structure is not that of a sheared cyclone.

Joaquin is currently experiencing under 10kts of shear and that is forecasted to continue to diminish over the next day.

He's not wrong, I don't think. Outflow remains restricted over the northern semicircle, which is consistent with ~20 kts of shear (your map shows shear tendencies, not shear values):

o39wsXI.gif

The storm is obviously vastly exceeding our expectations, but from a TC tracking standpoint, conditions could still be better.

He's not wrong, I don't think. Outflow remains restricted over the northern semicircle, which is consistent with ~20 kts of shear:

o39wsXI.gif

The storm is obviously vastly exceeding our expectations, but from a TC tracking standpoint, conditions could still be better.

Maybe you're expecting Joaquin to look something like this?

hurr-isabel-20030914-0915-g12ir.jpg

The wind shear is strong just about everywhere and Joaquin managed to form in the one place with relatively low shear. I didn't say that it was zero but the shear is forecasted to continue to weaken. 

...because there's no middle ground between an underdeveloped cyclone and an annular Cat 5?

Joaquin is an organizing hurricane. It will continue to get more organized as the shear continues to lessen and the hot tower in the SE Quadrant begins to wrap around the rest of eyewall. 

You can't just look at an IR loop and then post the first thought that pops into your head. In this case we have recon data to work with.

Joaquin is an organizing hurricane. It will continue to get more organized as the shear continues to lessen and the hot tower in the SE Quadrant begins to wrap around the rest of eyewall. 

You can't just look at an IR loop and then post the first thought that pops into your head. In this case we have recon data to work with.

OK, but you said that outflow was excellent in all quadrants (which I disagreed with), and that shear was less than 10kts (which appears to be quite wrong). I'm not looking to start any sort of argument, but that "you serious, Clark?" meme is pretty condescending, especially when your facts may not be right, and the other guy's may not be wrong.

OK, but you said that outflow was excellent in all quadrants (which I disagreed with), and that shear was less than 10kts (which appears to be quite wrong). I'm not looking to start any sort of argument, but that "you serious, Clark?" meme is pretty condescending, especially when your facts may not be right, and the other guy's may not be wrong.

In this case we had recon data which confirmed the shear was very low.

In the best interest of not derailing this thread, I agree to end it here.

The new NHC forecast track takes the system right towards the mid-atlantic or NJ coast as a hurricane. Still waiting on the discussion. I am sure it will reference the large amount of uncertainty. 

145429W5_NL_sm.gif

In this case we had recon data which confirmed the shear was very low.

In the best interest of not derailing this thread, I agree to end it here.

The new NHC forecast track takes the system right towards the mid-atlantic or NJ coast as a hurricane. Still waiting on the discussion. I am sure it will reference the large amount of uncertainty.

145429W5_NL_sm.gif

NHC has this as a major hurricane turning north. The cone continues to shift a tad west which makes sense given the latest model trends. Let's see if the 12z models continue the mid Atlantic strike.

Archived