joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Mid-Atlantic First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

:)

Finally, a contest where I have a chance to win

Too bad your DCA number sucks :P

Yeah, Yoda, you'll get a consolation prize for nailing IAD, but I think you're going to lose because of DCA.  You'll still be way better than most of us though. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Yoda, you'll get a consolation prize for nailing IAD, but I think you're going to lose because of DCA. You'll still be way better than most of us though.

Well perhaps it can come next cold shot. My RIC date night hurt too. :P

• 3 weeks later...

HighStakes is winning right now with a cumulative departure of 16 days and Yoda is right behind at 17 days.  Roger Smith and mappy (formerly "mapgirl") have departures of 21 days. 

Out of those 4, only Roger Smith has a competitive DCA forecast, however.  So, if DCA has a freeze around Thanksgiving, Roger Smith will win. 

Depends on the species.  This one in front of my house should survive, theoretically, but its the hardiest species in the world.

attachicon.gifIMG_4545.JPG

Nice hostas. You should yank that weed in the.middle. ;)

Seriously, do you put anything on your bedding plants? The slugs here would destroy those hostas. And what's the palm species?

On topic, I'm not winning the freeze contest.

Nice hostas. You should yank that weed in the.middle. ;)

Seriously, do you put anything on your bedding plants? The slugs here would destroy those hostas. And what's the palm species?

On topic, I'm not winning the freeze contest.

I have slugs, but they haven't bothered the hostas too much so far as I can tell.  I had some deer munch on them, but not lately. 

Palm species is windmill palm, Trachycarpus fortunei

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

Reported to have survived down to the negative teens, commonly cited to survive to around 0.  Hoping for a mild winter so it can establish, it can snow all it wants as long as we don't go sub-zero.  After a year or two it theoretically should survive a winter like last winter.  Its on the south side of my house and next to the driveway to assist its warmth needs.

Archived