joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Mid-Atlantic First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoda's got the inside track if IAD and BWI hit this weekend, but if RIC gets a freeze as well, I believe Ian will be in 1st place.  Yoda has a very early freeze for DCA, while Ian has a climo-ish forecast. 

I heavily hugged strong Nino climo (plus 1987 because it keeps showing up in various analyses) tho it's actually pretty close to our current climo too. 

I heavily hugged strong Nino climo (plus 1987 because it keeps showing up in various analyses) tho it's actually pretty close to our current climo too. 

I ran the numbers just for fun for a 10/18 or 10/19 freeze for IAD and BWI and IAD, BWI, and RIC.  Basically, you need RIC to hit this weekend to be in a commanding lead.  If RIC doesn't hit, things become more complicated.  HighStakes also is going to be very well-positioned if only IAD and BWI have a freeze. 

If I'm reading correctly, MOS for IAD is not a sure thing on a freeze this weekend.

Ant Euro update for the weekend?

Euro keeps most or all of the area from hitting freezing.. mainly mid-30s on the cold mornings. GFS has much of the area near or below freezing west of 95 Sun morning and a touch warmer Mon morning but still near or below in places west.

I think MOS would tend to run warm from this range given its climo bend. But the intensity of the cold seems to have moderated a bit as we close. I'd think Dulles has a decent shot one way or another. The others I wouldn't bet on.

What's the Euro say?

Frost well west of 95 on Sunday, on Monday freeze NW and frost (34-35F) for the Beltway. The temp distribution is pretty weird though. It shows barely a freeze up towards mapgirl with 35F in Baltimore City. If that 35F came true, it would easily be 29-30F NW.

I'm going with the NAM. Freeze for all on Sunday (and I'm assuming Monday as well).

Archived