Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter 2015

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate when you get into a pattern where it's cloudy, with a chance of rain every day for a week straight but the rainfall amounts are less than 1/2". That looks like what will happen here over the next week. I mean, if it's going to be cloudy at least give me a decent amount of rain.

I thought that was the Winter Solstice? We still have 3 months before the 'darkest part of the year'.

Yep the rest of this week we are right around 12 hrs of light and 12 hrs of dark, by the end of the weekend it will be less than 12hrs of light on the way to around 9.5 hrs of light at our latitude on the shortest day which is winter solstice

Why is it that on the Autumnal Equinox there is more than 12 hours of daylight ? 12 hours and 7 minutes between sunrise and sunset for my area today.

Just going off memory but it has something to do with light bending back at the horizon. So for the last few minutes you can see the sun, it's actually already under the horizon. Also I think the whole of the sun has to be just under the horizon to be considered set. So, the equinox would go from when the center of the sun sets. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

Here you go. Couldn't stand it so I Googled it:

Length of equinoctial day and night[edit]
300px-Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_d

Contour plot of the hours of daylight as a function of latitude and day of the year, showing approximately 12 hours of daylight at all latitudes during the equinoxes

On the day of the equinox, the center of the Sun spends a roughly equal amount of time above and below the horizon at every location on the Earth, so night and day are about the same length. The word equinox derives from the Latin words aequus (equal) and nox (night). In reality, the day is longer than the night at an equinox. Day is usually defined as the period when sunlight reaches the ground in the absence of local obstacles. From the Earth, the Sun appears as a disc rather than a point of light, so when the center of the Sun is below the horizon, its upper edge is visible. Furthermore, the atmosphere refracts light, so even when the upper limb of the Sun is 0.4 degrees[citation needed] below the horizon, its rays curve over the horizon to the ground. In sunrise/sunset tables, the assumed semidiameter (apparent radius) of the Sun is 16 minutes of arc and the atmospheric refraction is assumed to be 34 minutes[citation needed] of arc. Their combination means that when the upper limb of Sun is on the visible horizon, its center is 50 minutes of arc below the geometric horizon, which is the intersection with the celestial sphere of a horizontal plane through the eye of the observer. These effects make the day about 14 minutes longer than the night at the Equator and longer still towards the poles. The real equality of day and night only happens in places far enough from the Equator to have a seasonal difference in day length of at least 7 minutes, actually occurring a few days towards the winter side of each equinox.

Because the Sun is a spherical (rather than a single-point) source of light, the actual crossing of the Sun over the Equator takes approximately 33 hours.[citation needed]

At the equinoxes, the rate of change for the length of daylight and night-time is the greatest. At the poles, the equinox marks the start of the transition from 24 hours of nighttime to 24 hours of daylight (or vice versa). Far north of the Arctic Circle, at Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Norway, there is an additional 15 minutes more daylight every day about the time of the Spring equinox, whereas in Singapore (which is just one degree of latitude north of the Equator), the amount of daylight in each daytime varies by just a few seconds

Well, I decided  I would like a different username after all. Sent a message to a mod about deleting/banning this one so I could use another name I registered, and that way would not be able to use but one username. Just want a change since I really registered this username to be funny since it was the weather man in Anchor Man. Also, just want something simple and the same username I can use at other forums I visit. So, hopefully this name will be banned/deleted soon, and I can start using the other one. Just wanted to let everyone know so people would not think I was using more than one username.

Archived