joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of bizarre. Pages and pages of people posting extreme HWRF/GFDL/CMC solutions, all the while reminding one another not to look at those models.

if anyone paid attention to the hwrf outside of direct threats to our region they'd know what a garbage model it is

HWRF landfalls at Norfolk, VA at 00z Sunday. Pressure of 939.2mb. Max winds of 102MPH.

I'd toss it as Norfolk, VA is another spot...like the Georgia, Delmarva & Jersey coasts, that never see a landfalling hurricane.  The spots north of Florida that are high risk are the coasts of SC & NC...especially around Hatteras...Long Island, the very short south coast of Rhode Island, SE MA, and the coast of Maine...and, of course, the maritime Provinces of Canada...though its invariably extratropical by then due to the Labrador Current.

I'd toss it as Norfolk, VA is another spot...like the Georgia, Delmarva & Jersey coasts, that never see a landfalling hurricane.  The spots north of Florida that are high risk are the coasts of SC & NC...especially around Hatteras...Long Island, the very short south coast of Rhode Island, SE MA, and the coast of Maine...and, of course, the maritime Provinces of Canada...though its invariably extratropical by then due to the Labrador Current.

How many times have we seen a tropical cyclone hook NW into the coast? Once in my lifetime so far. I'm not sure you can use standard climo here.

But we aren't talking about a normal re curving storm. I wouldn't toss or hug anything at this point. Not much consistency out there. 

How many times have we seen a tropical cyclone hook NW into the coast? Once in my lifetime so far. I'm not sure you can use standard climo here.

None of the scenarios are physical impossibilities.  But the thing I like to stress, above all other things, is my so-called First Iron Rule of Forecasting:

You can't fight climatology.

The associated branch of science is the forecaster's best friend...and if he knows how to properly apply it to his forecasting duties...he will be light years ahead of those who dispense with it.

Like with any other endeavor in life; you play the odds.

None of the scenarios are physical impossibilities. But the thing I like to stress, above all other things, is my so-called First Iron Rule of Forecasting:

You can't fight climatology.

The associated branch of science is the forecaster's best friend...and if he knows how to properly apply it to his forecasting duties...he will be light years ahead of those who dispense with it.

Like with any other endeavor in life; you play the odds.

Your wrong about the 1903 vagabond hurricane. It was a cat 1 with 80mph winds at landfall in Atlantic city. It's the only true tropical hurricane to hit New Jersey in modern times

Your wrong about the 1903 vagabond hurricane. It was a cat 1 with 80mph winds at landfall in Atlantic city. It's the only true tropical hurricane to hit New Jersey in modern times

The 1903 storm you cite was a tropical storm, not a hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 47 mph when making landfall at Atlantic City.  It was also the only landfalling tropical storm between 1821 and Sandy on the coast of the state of New Jersey. 

Hurricanes have maximum sustained winds of 74 mph or greater.

*Note:  I'm rather annoyed I had to re-write this; as it was apparently deleted in the process of moving it to the Banter Thread.

The 1903 storm you cite was a tropical storm, not a hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 47 mph when making landfall at Atlantic City. It was also the only landfalling tropical storm between 1821 and Sandy on the coast of the state of New Jersey.

*Note: I'm rather annoyed I had to re-write this; as it was apparently deleted in the process of moving it to the Banter Thread.

Im annoyed i have to move posts by people who should know better.

There's just being deleted,not moved

Well, I suppose I just write faster than they move...

Why was I born brilliant & beautiful instead of rich?

If you ruminate on it; its rather hard to possess the first two traits in the contemporary West and still fail to manifest the third...one has to be a bit of a screw up to achieve that, I suppose...lol.

Im annoyed i have to move posts by people who should know better.

What was I supposed to know?  My post was a reply...not an opening salvo.

The 1903 storm you cite was a tropical storm, not a hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 47 mph when making landfall at Atlantic City.  It was also the only landfalling tropical storm between 1821 and Sandy on the coast of the state of New Jersey. 

*Note:  I'm rather annoyed I had to re-write this; as it was apparently deleted in the process of moving it to the Banter Thread.

Hmm? What am I missing?

19030916,   1100,   L,   HU,   39.1N,      74.7W,   70

The 1903 storm you cite was a tropical storm, not a hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 47 mph when making landfall at Atlantic City. It was also the only landfalling tropical storm between 1821 and Sandy on the coast of the state of New Jersey.

*Note: I'm rather annoyed I had to re-write this; as it was apparently deleted in the process of moving it to the Banter Thread.

Where are you getting this 47mph nonsense from? It was a cat one with 80mph winds!!!! I'm on my phone so I can't post the track and details. There were hurricane fource winds on Long Island !!!

Archived