• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

Where are you getting this 47mph nonsense from? It was a cat one with 80mph winds!!!! I'm on my phone so I can't post the track and details. There were hurricane fource winds on Long Island !!!

Ludlum said so...and he knew everything.  See The New Jersey Weather Book. 1983.  Rutgers University Press.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm? What am I missing?

19030916,   1100,   L,   HU,   39.1N,      74.7W,   70

What does that represent?  You have to give me an observation of 74 mph winds or greater observed at a station on the NJ coast in 1903.

Is that suppose to represent the Atlantic City marina...as I don't think there was any airport at Pomona back then.  The coordinates look close...

What does that represent?  You have to give me an observation of 74 mph winds or greater observed at a station on the NJ coast in 1903

It's the date. The full HURDAT file:

ZeIQtF8.png

A peripheral pressure of 997 mb (15Z on the 16th) suggests winds of at least 53 kt from the northern wind-pressure relationship - 70 kt chosen for best track which is the same as the original HURDAT.  990 mb was analyzed as the central pressure at landfall in Jarrell et al. (1992), which suggests winds of 63 kt from the northern wind-pressure relationship.  Intensity at landfall is retained as a Category 1 at New Jersey (70 kt) - which agrees with Table 6 in Neumann et al. (1999)/U.S. hurricane characterization in HURDAT.

It's the date. The full HURDAT file:

ZeIQtF8.png

Lol...this is a re-creation...a computer enhanced fantasy.  The operative word in your post is SUGGESTS winds of...no actual observation of such winds was made.

Lol...this is a re-creation...a computer enhanced fantasy.  The operative word in your post is SUGGESTS winds of...no actual observation of such winds was made.

This seems like a weird thing to get so passionate about. HURDAT is the best resource we have for historical context—you can't start telling people their records are wrong because you don't believe our reanalysis methods have advanced since 1983. Basic meteorology dictates that a storm which produced sustained surface winds of 47 mph at one station in the early-20th century was a lot stronger than 47 mph.

This seems like a weird thing to get so passionate about. HURDAT is the best resource we have for historical context—you can't start telling people their records are wrong because you don't believe our reanalysis methods have advanced since 1983. Basic meteorology dictates that a storm which produced sustained surface winds of 47 mph at one station in the early-20th century was a lot stronger than 47 mph.

I understand your take on the matter and certainly do not seek to ridicule you for it; my previous post nonwithstanding.  However, I have a deep sense of fidelity to the concept of actual time of the event observations as the definitive guide to categorizing the storm in question.  If no observations were made at the time that meet the requisite criteria for a hurricane, it cannot go down in my books as an actual hurricane. 

I understand your take on the matter and certainly do not seek to ridicule you for it; my previous post nonwithstanding.  However, I have a deep sense of fidelity to the concept of actual time of the event observations as the definitive guide to categorizing the storm in question.  If no observations were made at the time that meet the requisite criteria for a hurricane, it cannot go down in my books as an actual hurricane. 

I'm rather uneasy with the concept of re-writing history based on inference rather than hard evidence.  Its like that Brady Bunch episode...when the father told the kid about how innocent males sometimes go to jail because of "circumstantial evidence".  Though the son, when attempting to regurgitate the colloquialism, called it "circumspecial" {Sic}

I understand your take on the matter and certainly do not seek to ridicule you for it; my previous post nonwithstanding. However, I have a deep sense of fidelity to the concept of actual time of the event observations as the definitive guide to categorizing the storm in question. If no observations were made at the time that meet the requisite criteria for a hurricane, it cannot go down in my books as an actual hurricane.

To bad it's in the books as an official hurricane!!!

Explain to me how a 47mph tropical storm caused severe coastal damage such as washing away whole houses???? 80mph cane end of story

To bad it's in the books as an official hurricane!!!

Explain to me how a 47mph tropical storm caused severe coastal damage such as washing away whole houses???? 80mph cane end of story

I think not...

I've done research on some very early HURDAT seasons, and a lot of the data does feel pretty artificial. Take this 1861 storm, for instance. The entire file is based on two ship reports, three days apart. It's a nice-looking track, but as far as I could tell, there's really nothing to confirm the two reports were related to the same system.

800px-1861_Atlantic_tropical_storm_6_tra

The very next storm is even more vague. There was a record of storminess in NC sometime in October, but no track, date, or intensity could be discerned. The resulting system was sort of grandfathered into the database, with an arbitrary fix on an arbitrary date included because not enough was known about the storm to preclude its existence.

800px-1861_Atlantic_tropical_storm_7_tra

Records obviously become exponentially more reliable as time goes on, but there are lots of "best guesses" and dubious extrapolations for the first ~half of the database. Still, like I said, it's the best thing we have, and it's crucial to have consistent methodology; that's what HURDAT provides first and foremost. Limiting records to what was observed is a recipe for a nice hodgepodge of fragmented TC chronologies... especially considering that as the satellite and recon era wears on, we have a growing base of data to use in building more accurate intensity models, which are being incorporated into the ongoing reanalysis.

After the near to warmest May-Septemberon record, Long Beach was officially bumped up

to tropical climate status. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/378345352262194/photos/a.380638145366248.87789.378345352262194/846090542154337/?type=3&theater

Your wink smiley is an obvious effort to quietly & inappropriately insert posts that clearly belong in the climate change forum.

Your wink smiley is an obvious effort to quietly & inappropriately insert posts that clearly belong in the climate change forum.

Or he was joking because humid subtropical climate vs humid continental "(warm summers)" has been a topic of discussion here in the past as you already know.

I wish it would rain already; my lawn is sort of brownish...the sprinklers went out of order in 2007...yes, 2007 it was.  The problem is parts...the original manufacturer is out of business of course and my men have to fabricate replacements...takes them forever, just forever.  Nothing works you know...you can't believe the problems that befall me...

Since you were there was the great colonial hurricane really just a 47mph tropical storm?

All questions must be submitted on parchment and notarized...

I'll get right on it. In the meantime how long till one of those dooms day model maps goes viral and people start freaking out over Sandy 2???????

I recall in that marvelous sequel known as Beneath the Planet of the Apes  Charlton Heston speaking prophetically of a doomsday as Dr Zaius drew near...and his friend James Franciscus...when asked for assistance by the underground mutants against the marauding apes, cleverly retorted, "Go ahead and annihilate each other.  I'll help no one." 

But perhaps the best exchange was between Franciscus and the head mutant subsequent to the "church" service...where the insane mutants paid homage to a weapon with a cobalt casing.  Franciscus asked, "When may we hope to be released?"  The mutant quickly replied, "Mr. Brent, you may hope whenever you wish."

Archived