joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential biggest severe outbreak of the Summer

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the reasons the 24-hr probs are so high is that they encompass 2 distinct threats - pre-dawn and afternoon. 

Well that makes complete sense.  The 12-HR probs aren't too shabby though either:

SREF_12HR_SVR_PROBS__f024.gif

It will be interesting to see what the SPC does with the 6z outlook for severe probs...seems like at least the 24-HR svr probs (and I'm sure 12-HR maybe in a scenario like this) get weighed pretty heavily with risk categories and probs 

NAM is significant (goofy really) with strong instability coinciding with 40-50+kts bulk shear. Severe composite parameter(s) go into highly anomalous territories. The 4km NAM solution is suspect, but only shows a few discrete late-day cells. Though unlikely, that scenario could result in some very robust supercells. I'd tend to think a messier storm mode is to be expected with at least some marginal severe threat in the early day as well.

NAM is significant (goofy really) with strong instability coinciding with 40-50+kts bulk shear. Severe composite parameter(s) go into highly anomalous territories. The 4km NAM solution is suspect, but only shows a few discrete late-day cells. Though unlikely, that scenario could result in some very robust supercells. I'd tend to think a messier storm mode is to be expected with at least some marginal severe threat in the early day as well.

Without much synoptic scale forcing I sort of buy a more discrete solution with only isolated/scattered coverage. 

not bad on the 0z NAM at 18z tomorrow near BDL (or some place in northern CT).  Pretty long hodograph given some pretty decent speed shear and some curvature present given some directional component in the lowest few km.  Pretty nasty hodograph for the potential of significant damaging winds, some very large hail and of course possibility of a TOR

00_NAM_018_41.84,-72.63_hodo.gif

Without much synoptic scale forcing I sort of buy a more discrete solution with only isolated/scattered coverage.

I'm more concerned about early day convection or at least cloud debris. Forecast soundings are fairly moist in the boundary layer, along with PWATs over 1.5".

With that said, the HRRR favors strong instability already reaching GON-TAN by noon. Caveat, winds veer to the SSW/SW across the board.

I'm more concerned about early day convection or at least cloud debris. Forecast soundings are fairly moist in the boundary layer, along with PWATs over 1.5".

With that said, the HRRR favors strong instability already reaching GON-TAN by noon.

I'm not worried at all about cloud debris/am convection.

Issue seems to rest solely on whether dry air advects in from the best in the mixed layer. Some of the models (GFS, especially) have been insisting on bringing in much drier air around 850 hpa which effectively nixes the CAPE.

The other issue will be overcoming a bit of CIN with no real trigger. Surface convergence is pretty minor around that washed out front and there's no real QG forcing for ascent with neutral height falls and no discernible CVA. 

Well if the NAM is correct with sfc dews AOB 70F and 850mb dews ~14C or so with near +20C 850mb temps there is no question it will become pretty damn unstable very quickly, especially if mlvl lapse rates are 6.5 C/KM or higher...the 21z SPC SREF has a 10% prob of 700-500 lapse rates briefly exceeding 7 C/KM tomorrow around 15z

I've issued 55 severe thunderstorm warnings in the last 15 days. I'm seeing polygons in my sleep. Anyone see that monster raking southern New Hampshire just north of the Massachusetts border prior to noon tomorrow On the 01z hrrr?

I've issued 55 severe thunderstorm warnings in the last 15 days. I'm seeing polygons in my sleep. Anyone see that monster raking southern New Hampshire just north of the Massachusetts border prior to noon tomorrow On the 01z hrrr?

Nice updraft helicity on that beast.

Meanwhile here in the severe graveyard of SNE... getting a CG seems to be a struggle!

Only have the HRRR soundings out to 16z, but even in the warm sector with minimal apparent debris, moist at 850mb. Shear is largely unidirectional. Use caution with the analogs. That sig hail analog is not a good match as at a closer look shows much more directional shear in the lowest 2km.

post-533-0-49584300-1438657382_thumb.gif

Nice updraft helicity on that beast.

Meanwhile here in the severe graveyard of SNE... getting a CG seems to be a struggle!

well you'll probably make up for it in September when a cat 2 barrels into Clinton CT and it takes Ct light and power 7 weeks to restore the 1 million outages.

Feels weird saying this but if there is any tornado possibility tomorrow that potential may exist across far SE MA, the Cape area, and RI.  Models do redevelop a pretty decent (30-35 knot) llj later in the day tomorrow.  Just questions as to whether this occurs over this area or out over the ocean

Archived