joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential biggest severe outbreak of the Summer

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I sort of went with the synoptic/mesoscale look and forecast overnight storms even though the models were pretty meh. Seems like the hires stuff is catching on. 

Yeah we discussed storms overnight at work as well. Although doesn't have the QPF...I don't recall when that instability pushing north wasn't utilized. Any little convergence excuse from LLJ etc may tap into that. I guess we will see.

And that warning decision was borderline too. The updraft was fairly small, and we went back and forth and finally decided conditions were only getting better as time went on so it would probably grow upscale.

That's good it was warned. But I think regardless...it's just one of those things that are bound to happen. I don't think you can get mad either way....probably not going to do much to prevent this. It's an unfortunately consequence of summer storms.

Yeah we discussed storms overnight at work as well. Although doesn't have the QPF...I don't recall when that instability pushing north wasn't utilized. Any little convergence excuse from LLJ etc may tap into that. I guess we will see.

The tomorrow afternoon potential is still a big question mark. SREF still a bit bullish but the deterministic models are all over the place.

Yeah it's funny how different they look. Euro now looks like front crosses later on so that's good .

From what I've read it sounds like the front/trough will become parallel to the upper flow?  If this is the case a slower fropa could make sense in this situation.  However, with any pre-frontal trough that passes you do run the risk of mixing drier air into the lower levels...the hope here is the pre-frontal scoots far enough east to allow a SW flow to return and rebuild the llvl moisture 

Yeah it's funny how different they look. Euro now looks like front crosses later on so that's good .

I agreed with Forky's earlier comment that the NAM has a tendency to do this with super-unrealistic CAPE when these fronts sort of wash out or stall overhead. THat said, unlike earlier this year when it happened there is support from the SREF to go along with the NAM.

I agreed with Forky's earlier comment that the NAM has a tendency to do this with super-unrealistic CAPE when these fronts sort of wash out or stall overhead. THat said, unlike earlier this year when it happened there is support from the SREF to go along with the NAM.

SREFs and some mesos too. I did see GFS tries to dry out ORH-BDL a bit, but sometimes that model is a bit fast. It did look like RGEM had the chance for storms too BDL-ORH east. Tough call tomorrow. I sort of favor BDL-ORH on east I suppose. Maybe some storms also far north closer to ULL. 

One of the bigger players tomorrow will certainly be what happens overnight and early AM hours with convection and leftover boundaries.  Where these boundaries setup may very well be the focus for convective initiation later in the day.  In fact, would really have to watch out for supercell potential in this situation (of course if instability materializes) b/c this could make for some enhanced directional shear potentially.  

Archived