• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential biggest severe outbreak of the Summer

Damage In Tolland

I'm actually amazed at how bad some pilots are with the on-board radars.

From the training I've done, those radars aren't anything like our WSR-88Ds. Basically they suffer from attenuation in heavy precip. So in some cases the big hail cores completely block out echoes down radial, thus pilots see a clear screen and head for that "gap" when in actuality it's the worst part of the storm.

But in this case, I mean it had to have been a fairly isolated supercell right? How does one just fly into that?

But even if they cannot see hail cores, the reflectivity should have noticeable around the big cells...that was a complex. I also heard the plane was late in taking off Logan. Hmm...sounds like they may have been trying to get people to the destination too, in spite of weather. ATC will start to route planes around the northeast when two cells pop up...how they flew into a burgeoning MCS is beyond me. 

They also do not have internet access because of the risk of hackers. I know some pilots like to check radar, but I think that's a thing of the past.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But even if they cannot see hail cores, the reflectivity should have noticeable around the big cells...that was a complex. I also heard the plane was late in taking off Logan. Hmm...sounds like they may have been trying to get people to the destination too, in spite of weather. ATC will start to route planes around the northeast when two cells pop up...how they flew into a burgeoning MCS is beyond me. 

Okay, so that makes more sense to me now (still not good though!). If it was a complex of storms, the most intense core would appear to be the easiest gap to run if you were going to try and punch the line. I haven't seen anything about a crew, but I would think that a more experienced pilot would know that the radar would be giving false hope in that situation.

Okay, so that makes more sense to me now (still not good though!). If it was a complex of storms, the most intense core would appear to be the easiest gap to run if you were going to try and punch the line. I haven't seen anything about a crew, but I would think that a more experienced pilot would know that the radar would be giving false hope in that situation.

Yeah I can only speculate. Also, I don't know the exact time it happened and what radar looked like at the time either...but I think it was when the complex was forming. 

Yeah I can only speculate. Also, I don't know the exact time it happened and what radar looked like at the time either...but I think it was when the complex was forming. 

Well that at least makes more sense to me. Because an isolated cell should, in theory, be much easier to divert around.

Well that at least makes more sense to me. Because an isolated cell should, in theory, be much easier to divert around.

Yeah agree. Apparently a Southwest Airlines flight went through same area with a lot of turbulence too. It's almost a given for me to forecast at least moderate turbulence either on the backside or downwind of a MCS because of how much they alter the local environment. Subsidence usually on the west and northwest side of these systems as the jet impinges on the complex and has nowhere to go, but around or down because of strong updrafts. Latent heat will locally increase jet just downwind of complex too.

Yeah agree. Apparently a Southwest Airlines flight went through same area with a lot of turbulence too. It's almost a given for me to forecast at least moderate turbulence either on the backside or downwind of a MCS because of how much they alter the local environment. Subsidence usually on the west and northwest side of these systems as the jet impinges on the complex and has nowhere to go, but around or down because of strong updrafts. Latent heat will locally increase jet just downwind of complex too.

I'm probably the worst person to fly with (I know my fiancee hates it) because it's not all that hard to anticipate turbulence based on the cloud formations around you. CAT is a different story though.

I'm probably the worst person to fly with (I know my fiancee hates it) because it's not all that hard to anticipate turbulence based on the cloud formations around you. CAT is a different story though.

Yeah I'm big on clouds and the gradients you see on water vapor. CAT is always tough. A lot of what I do is pattern recognition. Sometimes it doesn't always work out, but it really helps to recognize trouble spots and hearken back to previous events.

This is what I came across concerning the hail flight encounter:

"It's clear that the crew deviated southward to avoid severe convection over far northeastern Colorado that was moving eastward, into an area clear of storms when they made the turn. However, a fast-moving left-mover increased very quickly and filled-in the gap over a matter of 15 minutes or so. GLD radar indicates 3" dia. hail in the left-mover at about the time of the incident."

and this note:

"Radar reflectivity-based schemes for diagnosing hail frequently under-represent the hail size on left-moving storms. It's quite possible this might have been one of the root causes for this incident. In addition, the left-movers have much higher storm motions, and they may have underestimated that as well, thinking they had time to fly around it."

As CoastalWx knows I say a lot to him, "you'd be surprised...(on how fast things can change in the mesoscale!")  :P

Yeah I'm big on clouds and the gradients you see on water vapor. CAT is always tough. A lot of what I do is pattern recognition. Sometimes it doesn't always work out, but it really helps to recognize trouble spots and hearken back to previous events.

CAT? Meow? What does that mean?

EDIT: Clear air turb... What are the basic causes?

CAT? Meow? What does that mean?

EDIT: Clear air turb... What are the basic causes?

A lot of times a strong upper jet can cause it. The air is essentially descending in the jet, creating large areas of clear air. But the turbulence caused by the large gradients in wind speed can be quite dramatic.

If you're lucky, you'll have cirrus in the area with transverse banding, hinting at the high turbulence.

A lot of times a strong upper jet can cause it. The air is essentially descending in the jet, creating large areas of clear air. But the turbulence caused by the large gradients in wind speed can be quite dramatic.

If you're lucky, you'll have cirrus in the area with transverse banding, hinting at the high turbulence.

Hmm..sounds like someone has an aviation focus?  :whistle:

Archived