joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential biggest severe outbreak of the Summer

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I put the dog in the cage around 1:30 and started down 93 to get ahead of the tornado warned cell. It was obvious that it was had a more easterly direction than northeast and if I wanted to get any wall cloud action I would need to be near 128/93. The storm's rotation actually weakened a little bit but ramped up slightly as it approached me at Target in Woburn one exit north of 128. 

I managed to get into Woburn right on time and found an area with a decent vantage point on the approaching cell. 20150804_144539_zpskai5458z.jpg I then took this after setting up at Target. Probably had 45-60mph winds with dime to nickel sized hail. CLli_ulWgAE3ahj.jpg I reported it on twitter and it went pretty viral for a bit which was awesome. I attempted to chase the cell but couldn't catch up to the core on 128 due to traffic. 20150804_151452_zpsaetdcctr.jpg

That first pic heading to Tobin impressed me most. Look at the updraft with crisp anvil images. That thing was suspending baseballs probably just aloft.

I love that today these two storms held out just long enough to drop big hail on BOS and PWM.

We literally had reports of peas in Westbrook (PWM is on the line there), and then in Portland proper half dollars (probably larger is some neighborhoods).

This was right after I came off the Tobin and exited into the North End. First video is the start of the rain. Thought I missed the best of it but I ended up being wrong in the second video. I had to pull into the old Brinks garage because I was afraid my windshield would break. I made the mistake of stopping the video because I thought I had missed the core of the storm.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/jksb617/th_20150804_161027_zpso42zwocy.mp4

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/jksb617/th_20150804_161333_zpsmmkmqifa.mp4

Great vid... Amazing how low visibility got there.

Thanks...I thought my truck was going over, Shaking big time. I was chasing the 2011 tornadoes, but this was impressive because of the wide open area for the wind to flow......crazy. I drove through Berlin right after and there were trees down all over and it smelled like dirt and timber.....

Archived