• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August 2015 Observation thread.

NRVwxfan.

Yes. It's because of the general atmospheric circulation. The area around 30-38 degrees latitude is known as the "horse latitudes". It's a relatively dry region created by Hadley/Ferrel cell interactions, which promote strong subtropical ridging and suppressive dynamics. If the GOM wasn't there...we'd pretty much be a desert like the SW CONUS.  

attachicon.gifgenCirc.jpg

#Climatology ftw.  Good explanation Iso.  Mack or anyone else want to argue with a meteorologist on this one?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. It's because of the general atmospheric circulation. The area around 30-38 degrees latitude is known as the "horse latitudes". It's a relatively dry region created by Hadley/Ferrel cell interactions, which promote strong subtropical ridging and suppressive dynamics. If the GOM wasn't there...we'd pretty much be a desert like the SW CONUS.  

attachicon.gifgenCirc.jpg

Great explanation.  I just learned a lot.  Thanks for dropping some knowledge.

Water is wet!

We should plug some of that Pythagorean theory talk into the models and maybe the models would predict the weather correctly! :)

Plus, I still like synoptic forecasting better!

I think you are referring to the Pythagorean Theorem;)

Theorya supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

Theorema general proposition not self-evident but proved by a chain of reasoning; a truth established by means of accepted truths.

I think you are referring to the Pythagorean Theorem. ;)

Theory: a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

Theorem: a general proposition not self-evident but proved by a chain of reasoning; a truth established by means of accepted truths.

I was literally doing an over/under in my mind on how long it would take you to fix that one. :)

Thanks man, yeah I do a lot of planning and have invested in some pretty good equipment, but a lot of my shots are by chance. For star shots I use the sky guide app to figure out what part of the sky the milky way will be in and then pick my location from that. The Botany Bay shoot was hard because it was very close to high tide and where I was having to sit my camera for that shot had a wave coming in around once every minute. I was also fighting a mean sea breeze that was keeping my lens dirty, so that is why it is a tad bit grained out. Photography is a hobby, but it brought me out of a really rough spot in life and gave me something else to focus on. Thanks for the kind words though man and if you ever do decide to get a more expensive camera I would be more than happy to give you a few tips and pointers!

Will do! It's a good hobby and you do awesome work. I don't know much about equipment, techniques, or lighting/effects, but to be really good at it, I think you have to have a talent for the artistry of it, if you know what I mean. I mean, you could have 5 different people take a picture of a sunset, and the best one will usually be from the person that has the knack for waiting for just the right moment, angle, or position and who frames it perfectly against the mountain or between the trees or under the bridge. There's a natural talent/artistic component involved. Anyway, I hope to see some snow pix this winter!

I think you are referring to the Pythagorean Theorem. ;)

Theory: a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

Theorem: a general proposition not self-evident but proved by a chain of reasoning; a truth established by means of accepted truths.

Hey, I got the hardest word right! I think that was well done ! I did go through the NC public school system , and we only had 10 grades back then! :)

I was literally doing an over/under in my mind on how long it would take you to fix that one. :)

So, did I beat the under?  You were right.  I couldn't let that go by without comment.  I appreciate you leaving it for me, though, and not going ahead and fixing it yourself.  I owe you one.

I MUST EDUCATE THE WORLD ON CORRECT MATHEMATICAL LEXICON!!  :D

So, did I beat the under? You were right. I couldn't let that go by without comment. I appreciate you leaving it for me, though, and not going ahead and fixing it yourself. I owe you one.

I MUST EDUCATE THE WORLD ON CORRECT MATHEMATICAL LEXICON!! :D

Haha! No problem man. Math corrections are all you. I set the line at 30 minutes, so you were definitely on the quick side. Well done! :thumbsup:

Wonder if there will be another round of storms and rain tomorrow. It was the day originally forecasted for the best chance of storms and rain.

For you, possibly. Radar currently isn't showing much love overnight between Southern Wake Co. and the Fayetteville area. Carolina Split in full effect (based on current radar).

Archived